• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

id please norfolk (1 Viewer)

I assume you have no other pics of the bird?
It's probably just my screen but looks alarmingly like a kingbird! Its just my first impression, obviously its far more likely to be a more common species at an odd angle. can you describe the bird? ie size, colours, call or anything else?

ref more pics on norfolk bird

it looked a little smaller than thrush size from ground level looking up no sound just noticed it managed these pics then it flew off plain light brown front but i never noticed until pics that it appears to have a reddish head these pics are the only ones i have all very similar im afraid

Attachments

• IMG_0430.jpg
    IMG_0430.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_0431.jpg
    IMG_0431.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 244
  • IMG_0429.jpg
    IMG_0429.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 240
well they do have plenty there but it wasent like others i have pictured but thank you for replying appreciate it

Looks to have a red cap with green-ish body and white cheeks?
May just be my two monitors at home though.
Maybe slightly red-ish on the back?
Real odd bird! Has a flycatcher look to it but quite bulky.

The only bird that I can compute...with a reddish tone to the head at this time of the year in woodland would be female Blackcap?

Looks to have a red cap with green-ish body and white cheeks?
May just be my two monitors at home though.
Maybe slightly red-ish on the back?
Real odd bird! Has a flycatcher look to it but quite bulky.

Funny you should say that at 1st glance it had me thinking flycatcher,but Blackcap isn`t a bad call.

Steve.B :)

From the extended white on the cheek, speckled pattern, white chin and pose I would say this likely to be a thrush (though it is still very flycatcher like). The closest direct bird I can come to is a Veery. I somehow doubt this though! I wondered if there were any features that made it particularly different from the Redwing? It may be a very pale variation of a Redwing. I know that bizarre variations can occur from the time I saw a black-billed Arctic Tern at Southend Pier.

Not sure that I've ever seen a blackcap with such heavy flank streaking. Veery would be veery nice (oh dear) though extremely unlikely. Im sticking with redwing on this one.

Thrush-like, isn't it? Or maybe the rufous cap of a tree sparrow? I think the 'bill' we are seeing is an extention of the twig going behind the bird's head - does this blow-up help?

Attachments

• IMG_0429.jpg
    IMG_0429.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 196
Thrush-like, isn't it? Or maybe the rufous cap of a tree sparrow? I think the 'bill' we are seeing is an extention of the twig going behind the bird's head - does this blow-up help?

Certainly looks like a twig extension. Don't know how much of it is photographic artefact but I'm still sticking to my colourful bird theory.
Seems to be showing a lot of colour but could easily be a light trick.

On photos like this it is virtually impossible to be certain of any details at all - colours may be misrepresented, detail is obscured and what you think you can see is more than likely not representative of what was really there. As a rule these birds are best forgotten!

Anyway, it's a Great Spotted Woodpecker and there's an out-of-focus branch running up in front of its belly. Possibly.

If that's actual streaking...and not twigs? (can't tell on my monitor)..then that's bye- bye to Blackcap!....If the OP saw streaking on the breast flanks...then I would definitely return to site if possible and commit myself to some ''serious'' birding!

The blow-up is certainly more informative, (thrush like) to the point of categorically consigning Sylvia atricapilla to the ''bin''...but as to ascribing it...dunno?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back