• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID suggestions Late March 2024 North Carolina USA (1 Viewer)

sbarnhardt

Jack of a few trades Master of notta!
Opus Editor
United States
I'm trying to come up with an id for a large mostly brown bird with a light tan or gray breast, long straight tail also brown. Reminiscent of a Brown Thrasher but with no spots on the breast which is also predominantly brown. I have no photos as I was in the house looking out the window at our feeders. Suggestions welcomed.

Thanks

Butty's suggestion is a good one. One or two other icterids would be in range too. Female rusty blackbird would be another very good fit for the description given. Not knowing what you saw, I would also want to consider brown-headed cowbird female. That doesn't quite match the long-legged, long-tailed shape of the previous two (i.e., it's less like a thrasher) but is in the size range and plain-colored (more grey than brown, but in the right light, maybe...?)

It's always good to give the actual location...
Female-type boat-tailed grackle - if it's near the coast.
I didn't think about where in the state. This was in what is referred to as the Piedmont portion of North Carolina which is the middle portion, not the coast and not the mountains. Flat land with mostly small hills if anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back