• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id The Thief (1 Viewer)

I tend to agree with Kingfisher, the timing seems to coincidental.

I tweeted the clip - it was the best number of retweets I have ever had about 20 in all!

The suspected man and the man directly to his left cooperates. It's quite obvious!

They look at each other just like "are you ready?" Also note how similar dressed the two men are!

After watching the clip a few more times I'm totally convinced that the two men know each other.

Once you realize what is really happening, it's pretty easy to also see it in the clip. Right? |8)|

As already pointed out, remember stuff on the internet never disappears. The person to the left may well be a totally innocent bystander - have you never spoken to a fellow customer in an optics showroom? If the thief is caught, and if it is established that others on the video played no part in the theft, I hope all those happy to incriminate will remember to come back onto the thread and point out the error in their thinking.

Given the reputation of potentially innocent people are being tarnished, I think Bird Forum should be thinking quite carefully about the posting of such threads. Why are the faces of those not under consideration, for example the man a few moments later, not being blacked out?

Note also how the man no 2 is taking a step forward and stand with his stomach against the dealer. In this way he makes himself bigger and obscure more!

Theft of bins is the ultimate crime for any birder, but theft of bins from who?
Theft of bins from me, you, every day people, or from a large corporation who probably pays it's staff the minimum wage and over charges massively and probably price fixes with it's competitors, I will not lose any sleep.;)

Interesting stance from moderators - a joke that it looks like a Swedish guy gets deleted, but threads implying the bystander behind the suspect is an obvious part of the criminal act are permitted.

Given the bystander can clearly be identified by the photograph, there are potentially quite negative repercussions of a string of threads on a public internet forum accusing him of theft. It is not the job of Bird Forum to start posting images of groups of people in a shop and then allow members to start publically posting accusations of criminal activities. Let the police do it - we do not even know of the police have talked to this gentleman or not, etc etc.

Last edited:
If your on Facebook it's all on Lancashire police , skelmersdale police , ormskirk police , Lancashire walks and wild life , viewpoint optics. The net is spread far and wide for the thief just a matter of time I hope. There was also other thefts from the exhibition.

Interesting stance from moderators - a joke that it looks like a Swedish guy gets deleted, but threads implying the bystander behind the suspect is an obvious part of the criminal act are permitted.

Given the bystander can clearly be identified by the photograph, there are potentially quite negative repercussions of a string of threads on a public internet forum accusing him of theft. It is not the job of Bird Forum to start posting images of groups of people in a shop and then allow members to start publically posting accusations of criminal activities. Let the police do it - we do not even know of the police have talked to this gentleman or not, etc etc.

Indeed, it's a police job , but I still don't care.

*Yawn*.... |=\|

No one has posted images in THIS thread..just linked to other sites/threads!

Last edited:
*Yawn*.... |=\|

Well, given you don't even post under your real name, I don't suppose you would be very happy if you found your photograph on a public forum with posters openly suggesting you were a thief.

Maybe this guy is involved, maybe not, but it is not the place of Bird Forum to allow potentially damaging libel to be propagated.

No one has posted images in this thread..just linked to other sites/threads!

But posting in your comfortable anonymous position, you have been happy to repeatedly accuse an identifiable person of theft. On a public forum, this never disappears - if he is innocent, this could damage his reputation. You however remain anonymous, nice.

Last edited:
Clive A,you are also the loser as retailers allow for shoplifting thefts in their retail price so we are all losers when purchasing goods.If there was no theft whatsoever by staff or public then the goods could be retailed at a much lower price.You are obviously one of those persons that condones theft as long as it doesn't affect you.A thief is a thief is a thief.It affects us all.....Eddy

But you have suggested that Bill Oddie may be the thief. Do you find it okay? If I were Bill Oddie, I had not liked to be accused in this way...

I presume you know who Bill Oddie is, the comedian actor who works for optics companies promoting binoculars? I presume you saw the smilie?

If you can't distinguish between a joke based on a faint resemblance to a public figure who actually works with binoculars and potential libel, then so be it. As said, openly accusing an identifiable person of theft on a public forum has the potential to be damaging to that person, regardless of actual innocence or guilt. Bird Forum should be better than that.

Last edited:
I presume you know who Bill Oddie is, the comedian actor who works for optics companies promoting binoculars? I presume you saw the smilie?

If you can't distinguish between a joke based on a faint resemblance to a public figure and potential libel, then so be it. As said, openly accusing an identifiable person of theft on a public forum has the potential to be damaging to that person, regardless of actual innocence or guilt. Bird Forum should be better than that.

No, I do not know who Bill Oddie is. I saw your smiley, but all visitors in an open forum as birdforum may not know what the sign :) means. Or know who Bill Oddie is. Then it is easy to misunderstand your post! ;)

My first thoughts were that the guy resembled a cross between Bill Oddie and John McCririck. But I guess that, in this instance at least, we can discount the hybrid theory straight away?

(The guy who may be innocent of course. And the other two I mention I would think we can safely say are probably not even involved at all?)

If LGRE (who is also probably innocent imo) thought he'd seen the guy, it could have been that he was checking out mannerisms/clothing etc in order to appear as a genuine birder at the event for these allegedly nefarious purposes. Or that there is someone else out there whom he resembles. If 4 pairs of bins went awol I'd imagine it could be real criminals. Real Birders wouldn't stoop so low, surely? Or a natural progression from other 'collecting' pastimes?

And the chances of the facial hair and hat not being seen for quite some while again seems quite likely imo ...

Sad sad world, I agree, although of course there's far worse things going on out there.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back