• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Wheatear FROM KUWAIT (1 Viewer)

RASHED

From Kuwait In5-10-2009

Attachments

• picture_136.jpg
    picture_136.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 85
  • picture_147.jpg
    picture_147.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 98
  • 02_441489.jpg
    02_441489.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 81
Just a question - is the amount of white fringing to the greater coverts and secondary flights a photographic artefact or is this feature non-diagnostic for the suggested species (it's just there's no obvious fringing to the bird in Brian's excellent link).

Hi Tim

As in other wheatear species in autumn, I suspect that the white fringes are actual, but wear off during the winter - the males in the Oman photos are in February.

Brian S

WP List per BWP

A question that needs to be asked:
Is Eastern Pied/Variable Wheatear on the WP list as defined by BWP?
If not, then this would be a real rarity.
Does anyone know?

Variable Wheatear is not on the list of birds of Kuwait on Alsirhan's website, which I suspect is pretty up to date:
http://www.alsirhan.com/Birds/index.htm
It is also not on the AERC TAC list of the bird taxa of the WP (IIRC, the list is from 2003):
http://www.aerc.eu/DOCS/Bird_taxa_of _the_WP15.pdf

So, if the bird indeed is a Variable Wheatear, it would probably be the first for the WP (but the species occurs regularly pretty close to the WP).

I'm a bit concerned how a dark-throated adult female Finsch's Wheatear can be ruled out? The scapulars are a bit darker than the back, which gives it kind of a Finsch's Wheatear-look, but I don't know whether the feathers on the back on a FW can have such clear pale tips. There are not many pictures of Finsch's Wheatears on the net, but this bird is at least superficially similar (but perhaps it's a 1cy bird, as it has brownish primaries):
http://www.netfugl.dk/pictures.php?id=showpicture&picture_id=25054

i was thinking fresh male finsch's, although i'm not familiar with this plumage. but if the strong white fringes wear off and the tipsof mantle and crown get white it looks like a perfect male fischii. not sure though.

i was thinking fresh male finsch's, although i'm not familiar with this plumage. but if the strong white fringes wear off and the tipsof mantle and crown get white it looks like a perfect male fischii. not sure though.

Lou

I am having some doubts about this being Variable, as I can't quite reconcile the hint of a pale supercilium. Mind you, I can't reconcile it with Pied or Finsch's either.

Brian S

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back