• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identification of bird in Ecuador - flying upside down? (1 Viewer)

pringle

Hello, I photographed this bird in Ecuador (roughly 1500m above sea level) from quite a distance, which is why the photo I'm posting isn't great.

I've searched through detail of Ecuadorian birds and I cannot work out what this is at all. Without the long neck it could be an Andean Condor, however the neck stumping me.

It also looks to be flying upside down!

Can anyone shed any light on what it might be?

Thanks very much!

Attachments

• P1160612.jpg
    P1160612.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 211
Possibly a Turkey Vulture. And if you think it's flying upside down, a trip to Specsaver is maybe in order. ;)

;)
I can sympathize with the poster a bit. If you mistake the light colored far left wing as the birds head, it actually looks like a really long neck looking upwards.
Once you see it that way, it's kinda hard to undo.

;)
I can sympathize with the poster a bit. If you mistake the light colored far left wing as the birds head, it actually looks like a really long neck looking upwards.
Once you see it that way, it's kinda hard to undo.

Totally! A bit like some of those"2-way" images by Dali.

Great, thanks for the responses. Yes someone else just looked at it and pointed out the reflection on the wing, indeed like the 2-way images and I can now see it looks much more like a vulture! Thanks everyone!

Nice pic. Holds an optic illusion. Turkey Vulutre it is, and the upturned neck is the left wing.

//Ben

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back