• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Identify bird call 'puk puk poww', early spring, Kent, slightly wooded (1 Viewer)

Sorry, I wasn't clear, the call you heard has a tone colour (not the best word I think) that travels a long way in forests, just like the sound of an Oriole.

A few times I've seen an Oriole singing in an open field and then the sound almost disappears. However, in a forest it's song can be heard a mile away. It has a pitch, tone, resonance that is completely 'adapted' to a forest. The sound of your bird has the same characteristics and that's why I think it's a bird from a rainforest.
Ok, many thx

The sound has the sense of a poultry or game bird - I can't think of a British game bird that would sound like that but there are some unusual-sounding chicken varieties (long-crowing chickens). You may be able to dig out some recordings of those, I can't find one that matches but I haven't tried very hard

Edit: it sounds loud and far away rather than soft and close

Last edited:
If there wasn't audio and a description as a double grunt followed by a variable tonal whistling call that would be roding Woodcock perhaps, interestingly!

Sounds like a corvid, heard some very odd noises from rooks and jays recently.
The sound has the sense of a poultry or game bird - I can't think of a British game bird that would sound like that but there are some unusual-sounding chicken varieties (long-crowing chickens). You may be able to dig out some recordings of those, I can't find one that matches but I haven't tried very hard

Edit: it sounds loud and far away rather than soft and close
I did think chicken or exotic pheasant, or game bird...

Sounds like a corvid, heard some very odd noises from rooks and jays recently.
I have heard extreme variation calls from corvids, however there is still a tiny clue within the call, with the call I'm trying to ID the only familiarity to me is the tone or timbre, which draws me towards a game bird or pigeon variety...forget the lyrics

My first instinct was C. Crow but hesitated to suggest it, now that Richard has mentioned those near him I'm even more convinced.

The Eurasian Jay may be able to make such a sound but not with this volume, with this rhythm and he doesn't have the sustain pedal you need for the last part. An exotic pheasant is possible, I'm listening to videos with those screamers you hear in rainforest exhibits in zoos.

The Eurasian Jay may be able to make such a sound but not with this volume, with this rhythm and he doesn't have the sustain pedal you need for the last part.
I think Jay is a real contender - they do a lot of warbles, chirps and other assorted calls, at an impressive range of volumes, especially this time of year.

The Eurasian Jay may be able to make such a sound but not with this volume, with this rhythm and he doesn't have the sustain pedal you need for the last part. An exotic pheasant is possible, I'm listening to videos with those screamers you hear in rainforest exhibits in zoos.
Surely the volume depends on the proximity of the caller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back