• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Immature gulls in the Netherlands--Lauwersoog (1 Viewer)

Tom St

Find attached 3 photos of immature gulls photographed at Lauwersoog haven in the Netherlands on 25th September 2022.
I believe they are photos of three different individuals.
Are they Great Black-backed Gulls?
Thanks!

Attachments

• gull_1.JPG
    gull_1.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 86
  • gull_2.JPG
    gull_2.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 88
  • gull_3.JPG
    gull_3.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 85
Hello Tom,

first one is a 1cy Great Black backed Gull for me too. Just by monster bill with bulbous gonys, resulting in a drooping shape of the bill. Many (?) juveniles are paler/whiter headed than your bird, but its easy within variation.

Second is a 1cy Herring Gull. Barred tailband, notches in the brown tertial-centers are not good for YLG or LBBG

Third is a 1cy Lesser Black backed Gull imo. Please note
  • dark chocolate brown overall impression
  • darker, more blackish primaries, although both points are enhanced by slight underexposure (... you know)
  • darkish head with darkish mask around and behind the eye
  • all these features coupled with the round head and the slender bill gives this bird a LBBG vibe to me
And for the confident part of my comment: there is a Turnstone in your last picture

1 GBBG, 2 HG
Despite the apparent lack of white primary tips and the apparent darkness of outer primaries the third bird also looks like a HG to me - on tertial and greater covert pattern. It is within the overlap zone, but usually you can't see barring/piano key pattern this clean in greater coverts down to where GC row disappears towards outers. There is also a lot of white in coverts, wings are not that long, white crescents on tertials reach or almost reach greater coverts.

1 GBBG, 2 HG
Despite the apparent lack of white primary tips and the apparent darkness of outer primaries the third bird also looks like a HG to me - on tertial and greater covert pattern. It is within the overlap zone, but usually you can't see barring/piano key pattern this clean in greater coverts down to where GC row disappears towards outers. There is also a lot of white in coverts, wings are not that long, white crescents on tertials reach or almost reach greater coverts.
How unusual is it for a juvenile GBBG to have just an extensive pale bill-base?

Brett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back