• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Immature Peregrine ? Corsica (1 Viewer)

Val35

Hi, I photographed this falcon yesterday in the very south of Corsica. On the field, I didn't think it could be anything else than a young Peregrine (which it probably is, there's a pair breeding nearby, I saw the adults several times). But now, I have a little doubt, how can I tell this bird apart from a vagrant immature Lanner from Italy for example (given that I don't have pics of the front side of the bird) ?
Thanks !

DSCN7868.JPG

Tail barring is Peregrine: light bars getting narrower to tip
The extreme thin moustache and bold super is common in 'northern type' juveniles, whatever these are

Thanks I didn't know about this tail barring pattern !

By Northern type you mean "callidus" types or peregrinus from the Northern part of the range ?

Not callidus as many Peregriner in the Northern part of the range are looking like that without being callidus (which anyway is a clinal change and difficult to ID in any case)

Ok thanks ! Interesting to know that it's not of the local brookei anyways.

I don't know if Tom meant that - but he didn't say it. Peregrine is a cosmopolitan species - hence, your local birds are in the northern part of the range.
Ok, but northern type refers to scandinavian and Russian birds, central European nominate and mediterranean brookei have much darker head and broader moustache. Sorry for not being clear enough. So I agree that this is not a local brookei from Corsica but a migrant from northern Europe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back