• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Improved video cam setup for Ivory-Billed Woodpecker (1 Viewer)

400+birder

United States
I tested a camera system yesterday, after much study of previous efforts and results. Basically, videos that are offered to be IB are from cameras that were already on (Luneau, Hill) or were at hand (Collins, but he missed a couple of other possibilities). Obviously the preference here is to have a cam already on. And, importantly, videos more commonly capture possible IB images. Six of the last eight images that are possible IBs are from video (two from trailcams). So, it's video rather than still (yes, the bird is that fast and elusive). And, it has to be on.

Tech can do the "always on" with the Anker PowerCore 10000mAh. And, with loop recording, a field searcher can have a random encounter at, say 1037AM, and only have to save and search five minutes of video from a microSD.

The camera has to be aimed at the bird to catch a fleeting image. Previous efforts have been with videocams mounted on canoes, kayaks, or kayak paddles. My belief is that a head-mounted cam will improve on this, because our eyes are good sensors and will cause the head to turn to the bird. If the field of view is wide enough, an image could be obtained.

A GoPro type cam (the Akaso EK7000Pro) is short-lensed, wide-angle and does not have the range and resolution to ID a bird at 100 meters, which is the test goal set from reports of general flee distance, as reported by many observers (and yes, even back into the 1800s-- much more common than reports of tamer birds). So I have bought and tried a Scopecam Lite by Runcam, with a 40mm lens. This is a camera meant to be mounted on a paintball-type rifle. It can be head-mounted. I also thought that this would provide a field of view of about 45 degrees. With this last thought, I was wrong.

When I tried it, it could easily resolve a stop sign at well over 100 meters. However, the field of view was much narrower, perhaps 10 degrees. This means that a head-mounted system would have much less of a chance of being aimed at an IB.

I asked a photographer affiliated with Mission Ivorybill, and was quickly told that I did not consider equivalency, or crop factor (something that was mentioned here on FB but not fully explained in context). My Scopecam has a 1/2.9 sensor... so all the numbers change.

I am returning and reordering the same camera with a 16mm lens, and hope this will be the right combination. I am open to advice with this. For example, the Scopecam also offers 35 and 25mm lenses; perhaps one of these is better for the magic combination of resolution at distance, and field of view needed to get the bird. Funding is also an issue; the entire setup I hope to suggest for field research is approx. 250 USD each.

It's important to conclude here that, in all of the more recent efforts to document this species-- Cornell, Auburn, Collins, Project Coyote, Mission Ivorybill-- there were multiple claimed sightings.

https://shop.runcam.com/runcam-scope-cam-lite/
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore.../dp/B0194WDVHI...
RunCam Scope Cam Lite

I think you need to cut out the human. Rather than have to rely on someone to see the bird, turn and aim just record continuously.

A hi-res 360⁰ camera hooked up to a huge hard drive and powered from a car battery can even record what is going on behind you. If you are canoe based then carriage isn't a problem.

Something like this...

Hi Mono,

I think you need to cut out the human. Rather than have to rely on someone to see the bird, turn and aim just record continuously.

A hi-res 360⁰ camera hooked up to a huge hard drive and powered from a car battery can even record what is going on behind you. If you are canoe based then carriage isn't a problem.

Something like this...

The problem with that approach is that even with 12K horizontal resolution, you only have 1.8 arc minute resolution, which about halves the detail you see with the human eye. And normally, you need binoculars to positively identify shy birds. (Not counting, "white waders on the mudflats ... these can only be spoonbills" type IDs which are really based on the "What else could it be?" approach.)

So I believe some kind of tele lens needs to be used, even if it drastically reduces the field of view and introduces the human factor.

Regards,

Henning

How come that - and really literally - for every other bird, you can get photos, but not for this one? Going the video way, you will only produce more blurry smudges of bigfoot quality.

If the problem is that you need a canoe to get there and don't have time to drop the paddle, then why don't you just have a passenger with a camera in their hands all the time?

Something like this...
Thank you for the idea. But like Hauksen mentioned, the bird is shy and will most likely be at a distance (100 meters was often reported, a "flight initiation distance"). So a lens has to be somewhat long. I have tried a Scopecam Lite with a 16mm lens, and it may be okay, but I am guessing that a 10mm lens would be better, because of a wider FOV. A 360 degree cam that has good resolution at 100 meters would be difficult without a search algorithm. Any thoughts?

How come that - and really literally - for every other bird, you can get photos, but not for this one? Going the video way, you will only produce more blurry smudges of bigfoot quality.

If the problem is that you need a canoe to get there and don't have time to drop the paddle, then why don't you just have a passenger with a camera in their hands all the time?
We're trying to improve on existing efforts. I agree the cam has to run all the time. An Anker Power Core 10000mAh can do this. I am testing new design action cams that have better resolution. The attached pic shows the resolution available, of the farther stop sign at 226 meters (744 feet). This is promising.

Attachments

• Scopecam Lite, 226m stop sign, FOV.jpg
    Scopecam Lite, 226m stop sign, FOV.jpg
    578.9 KB · Views: 23
Hi John,

But like Hauksen mentioned, the bird is shy and will most likely be at a distance

Hold the horses ... I wrote "normally, you need binoculars to positively identify shy birds" ... I'm pretty sure I have not seen enough Ivory-Billed Woodpeckers over here in Europe to be familiar with their behaviour patterns! :)

However, logically non-shy birds can be approached to closer distance where naked-eye identification is possible, or at least they don't fly away while paddles are laid down, binoculars are raised and someone gets out the the tele-lens DSLR, which I'm sure will be needed too.

Regards,

Henning

Hi John,

Hold the horses ... I wrote "normally, you need binoculars to positively identify shy birds" ... I'm pretty sure I have not seen enough Ivory-Billed Woodpeckers over here in Europe to be familiar with their behaviour patterns! :)

However, logically non-shy birds can be approached to closer distance where naked-eye identification is possible, or at least they don't fly away while paddles are laid down, binoculars are raised and someone gets out the the tele-lens DSLR, which I'm sure will be needed too.

Regards,

Henning
Yes to the mis-quote, first paragraph, sorry. Second paragraph, according to numerous observations over more than 100 years, the IB does exactly opposite that. We cannot approach close, and they will fly away.

Hi John,

Second paragraph, according to numerous observations over more than 100 years, the IB does exactly opposite that. We cannot approach close, and they will fly away.

I was only dividing all of the birds into shy and non-shy, with the shy ones flying away so quickly they need extra technology to be captured on film, while the non-shy ones don't.

Have you checked how water/weather resistant the type of Scopecam you've decided on is? I checked some review videos, and the early models don't seem to be so robust, while the later ones appear to be splash proof according to IP64, which is fair but not great:

Regards,

Henning

Ivory-billed Woodpeckers were notoriously shy
Indelible-ivory-billed-woodpecker-2.jpg

Hi John,

I was only dividing all of the birds into shy and non-shy, with the shy ones flying away so quickly they need extra technology to be captured on film, while the non-shy ones don't.

Have you checked how water/weather resistant the type of Scopecam you've decided on is? I checked some review videos, and the early models don't seem to be so robust, while the later ones appear to be splash proof according to IP64, which is fair but not great:

Regards,

Henning
I'm going to suggest they are not water-resistant and be treated as such.

Hi Mono,

Have you seen this device

Thanks, that's an interesting camera as well! Too bad the specifications don't state the (equivalent) focal length or the view angle.

For the Scopecam 4K with the 40 mm lens, which I think is the most suitable one, I found a view angle of 8.2° stated.

Regards,

Henning

Hi Mono,

Thanks, that's an interesting camera as well! Too bad the specifications don't state the (equivalent) focal length or the view angle.

For the Scopecam 4K with the 40 mm lens, which I think is the most suitable one, I found a view angle of 8.2° stated.

Regards,

Henning
So far I am liking the Scopecam Lite with 16mm lens, but am searching for something with a 10mm.

Hi John,

So far I am liking the Scopecam Lite with 16mm lens, but am searching for something with a 10mm.

I hope to be able to come up with a rig that allows reliable aiming, in which case the 40 mm will give much better image quality. A shorter lens will obviously be less sensitive against aiming a bit off, so without an aiming aid, a case for a wider angle can probably be made. I wouldn't go too wide, though, as the number of pixels the bird will have squares inversely with viewing angle.

In other words, if the bird has 1800 pixels area with an 8° field-of-view, it will only have 200 pixels with a 24° field of view. The former is 30 x 60 pixels, the latter is 10 x 20 pixels. Made-up numbers of course, just to illustrate the principle.

Regards,

Henning

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back