• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Info needed - S. Korea in early May (1 Viewer)

gpike

Hi, my husband and I are planning our next trip and we wanted to visit South Korea. We should have about 9 days to spend there.

I have looked at the birdskorea.com site but I would like some more information if possible, particularly with regard to which sites would be good to visit during early May? We are interested in seeing some land birds but waders are good, too. Any links or tips on how to access sites would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hi, my husband and I are planning our next trip and we wanted to visit South Korea. We should have about 9 days to spend there.

I have looked at the birdskorea.com site but I would like some more information if possible, particularly with regard to which sites would be good to visit during early May? We are interested in seeing some land birds but waders are good, too. Any links or tips on how to access sites would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Week 2 May is near perfect time for the waders (including the specials like Nordmann's and even Spooon-billed Sandpiper), if you were to get down to Gunsan and Geum estuary. Access is tricky and coinciding with a rising spring tide is vital, but there are sites you can get to by car. I don't have handy link to locations, but if you contact Birds Korea you may well find they are doing organised counts over that period that you could hook up with.

I tried contacting birdskorea but they simply referred me back to their site. 0_o

I suppose I can try just going to Jeju or Eocheong or something?

Hi,

Having been in the same position when I had to spend a few weeks in S Korea with work last autumn, I discovered that the Birds Korea forums were not working or being monitored. You could try looking at their Archive pages for reports of birding visits over the past few years - these are arranged by Month / Year, and will make interesting reading. More recent reports are on the Birds Korea blog. I tried emailing one or two people whose names appeared regularly in the forums, and they were very helpful - though obviously everyone is busy with their own lives, but it's worth a try.

There is an easy Black-faced Spoonbill site called Dongmak Lagoon on the western edge of Seoul towards the airport. Easily accessed from the Dongmak subway station - it's just across the road. Great for waders and ducks. Google Maps is good for finding your way around - the Get Directions function will tell you how to get somewhere by public transport, with bus routes and subway lines.

I only travelled around Seoul at weekends on public transport, so didn't get to any of the better sites, so I'm afraid I can't help on those. But happy to help with my experiences of getting around Seoul.

Mike

Thank you for the intel, Mike! I think that Spoonbill site might be just what we are looking for!
I did get some further tips from Nial Moores, though we can't afford to hire him as a guide right now.

Looks like we might shoot to visit Eocheong island if time allows for it...

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back