• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inner Gulf of Thailand updates, winter 2010/11 (2 Viewers)

With thanks to Dave Gandy (gandytron) had a wonderful day at Pak Thale and the surrounding countryside today. 95 species seen but the highlight has to be the 6 Spoon-Billed Sandpipers. A full update will be provided on my year listing thread.

Cheers
Nick

Attachments

• Pak Thale.jpg
    Pak Thale.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 61
  • Spooner1.jpg
    Spooner1.jpg
    245 KB · Views: 65
More today

Nice to see you today Dave and to meet you Nick. At the end of the day we saw 3 Spoonbill Sandpipers at Pak Thale and a number of Dunlin, possibly four, including this one which is starting to show its breeding plumage . Another birder reported seeing the Milky Storks to the south of the abandonned building.

Attachments

• DSCN8086.jpg
    DSCN8086.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 45
Thanks Gerry, good to see you too. We finished the afternoon at Nong Plai Lai raptor watchpoint, where we picked up two Greater Spotted and one juv Steppe Eagle as well as 30+ Black Kites.

Best wishes

Dave

Great to see you Gerry, thanks to you and Phil for making me so welcome at the Royal Project, wonderful to see so many birds at close quarters

Cheers
Nick

Well, Thai birders & visitors to the site: it's getting towards that time of year again & I have another trip planned (4th-14th December) during which I want to get to grips with Spooners and other goodies at Pak Thale, as well as visit KK again.

February's disastrous holiday meant that I almost did no birding, so I'm keeping fingers crossed for this one.

So any updates and info gratefully received here.

Thanks folks...

H

Well, Thai birders & visitors to the site: it's getting towards that time of year again & I have another trip planned (4th-14th December) during which I want to get to grips with Spooners and other goodies at Pak Thale, as well as visit KK again.

February's disastrous holiday meant that I almost did no birding, so I'm keeping fingers crossed for this one.

So any updates and info gratefully received here.

Thanks folks...

H

Good luck, hope the record flooding in and around BKK has subsided by then, you should be alright though, we last went in Dec 2010 and recall there being serious flooding in October of that year as well, all was more or less fine by the time we left mid December.
We went after Gurney's Pitta last trip but in Dec '08 picked up my lifer Spoon-billed Sandpiper at Pak Thale, "needle in a haystack" comes to mind :'D

Rains are indeed bad at the moment - I was supposed to drive to NW Thailand this morning but had to postpone by trip due to the flooding.

Spooners not normally back until the end of October, so watch this space.

I think there has already been a w-f plover seen at LPB.

Best wishes

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back