• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inner Marsh Farm - from the horse's mouth (7 Viewers)

The new big hide at Titchwell Reserve in Norfolk is superb. It has glass panels which can be raised or retracted, so birders have the option to view with or without the glass. No problems there, everyone's happy.

Going back to BMW, Rob72 is right to point out that the reception / viewing area occupies the prime viewing location on the site - and it's entirely glass fronted ( and double glazed ) If there was an adjacent viewing room at the same primary viewing point which offered a non obstructed view then I wouldn't have a problem.

And finally, why are there fixed glass panels as well as open windows in the new Covert hide at BMW. What's the thinking behind that ( I'm genuinely curious )

a) Titchwell cost a LOT more
b) Reception occupies a excellent viewing spot, that's the point.
c) As stated a few times there are several alternative viewing locations outside of the glazed areas AND other viewing facilities are in the offing
d) The fixed windows in Marsh Covert Hide are for exactly the same reason as Reception, to allow instant panoramic vistas, be welcoming/familiar to non-birders and the view the sky (I love a raptor watch I do!). The hide was also designe dto accomodate more than just seated birdwatchers, you can stand behind a seated person with your scope/bins

e) great views of juvenile Marsh Harrier this morning from reception.
f) 2 great white egrets came into roost last night ... viewed from the marsh covert hide

Species number 149 for the year was a white-fronted goose at Burton Mere Wetlands

There today are 3 curlew sandpipers

And for the records Cattle Egret was species number 150 for the year list. A very nice surprise to have 3 species of egret on the reserve at the same time.

Any bets on species 151?

Tried to post this alreday but for those who missed them:
151. Bittern
152. Glossy Ibis

Were the latest additions to the reserve list. Fingers crossed for a Richard's, Rock or Water Pipit ... any experts out there feel free to come and give it a go!

Great views of a tenacious female merlin agian this morning (3 days running) but no obvious kill today - lucky snipe!

Prob. my best views ever

Tried to post this alreday but for those who missed them:
151. Bittern
152. Glossy Ibis

Were the latest additions to the reserve list. Fingers crossed for a Richard's, Rock or Water Pipit ... any experts out there feel free to come and give it a go!

That's 5 ahead of my garden for the year now.... and I don't think I'll get them back without a complete freeze up!

I visited the new complex at Burton Wetlands (Inner Marsh Farm). How pleasent it was to sit watching the birds in the warmth and chatting with interesting biders.
Five Whooper Swans came in to drink then flew away back to nearby fields where other swans were feeding. A Gadwall was the highlight for me because it was the only one of its species to be seen. Six male Teal performed sincronised swimming, upending together in the shallows opposite the window. For a couple of oldies in their seventies who are finding it harder to go for long walks, my wife and I found this establishment a wondrful place to enjoy our hobby of birdwatching.

That's 5 ahead of my garden for the year now.... and I don't think I'll get them back without a complete freeze up!

Feels like it might freeze up today! Anyway we got another one on Monday (and Saturday) with Scaup being species number 153 for the year.

Monday 28th one was reported on the border pool and then on Saturday afternoon we had one in front of reception building on the main scrape.

STill hoping for a water or rock pipit ....

Fantastic numbers of teal here today (3,500) with a green-winged teal reported yesterday

Now that the year list has finsihed and the developments have mostly finished I will be mostly updating sightings and messages on the main Cheshire thread.

Oh and for those counting the list finished on 153 for the year with a female scaup the last addition on being back-dated to 28th November.

Last edited:
Nice, but cold, day out at BMW today. Bartailed godwits, redshank + snipe in one of the fields also stonechat . nuthatches with all the tits + finches on the feeders. Also treecreeper + 3 gs woodies in the trees by reception. In field by puddington loads of canada geese + greylags, no sign of wf geese tho, but approx 30 golden plover in the field beyond.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back