• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Interesting bird heading out to sea from Herne Bay, August 2021, last year. (1 Viewer)

Evan Atkinson

Always finding a way to go off topic...
United Kingdom
Hi all, I photographed a bird heading high out to sea in August, 2021 from Herne Bay, Kent, UK and it has really been puzzling me over what it could be. I must admit my initial thought was bee-eater due to wing shape and bill structure, but I am not quite sure anymore. I only have the one photo.Screenshot 2022-11-01 06.28.13.png
Kind regards,
Ev

If I saw that photo without any info my first thought would be Short-eared Owl but I'm sure it would not have been one. Probably a raptor, most likely Buzzard.

I would say that both the head is too big, tail not long enough and overall proportions rule out HB. Looks better for SEO - as for 'bill structure'.....

Laurie -

my two thoughts are honey buzzard or raven

but theres not much to go on and no point even trying to enhance the photo

best logged as an unidentifible bird over kent

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back