• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ireland, South Coast, Nov 2021 (1 Viewer)

Cormac

I would like to confirm ID please
1 - Little Stint ?
2 - Ruff ?
3 - Dunlin (across centre of photo) ?

Attachments

• FSCN4031.JPG
    FSCN4031.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 62
  • FSCN4035.JPG
    FSCN4035.JPG
    207.5 KB · Views: 62
  • FSCN4046.JPG
    FSCN4046.JPG
    229 KB · Views: 63
Hello Cormac,
I dont know if you uploaded the pictures in the way you numbered them in your post?
First bird is a Dunlin. Please note black patch to belly, everything is there.
Second birds are all Golden Polvers. Please note warm golden-buff sprengled upperparts and the right body-shape with a pear-shaped body, and a rounded head in the profile bird. I exclude the rarer two others just by location.
The third shows: Black-tailed Godwits (the larger birds), Knots (grey, larger, round body, short bill). The little bird among them is hard for me.
At first it seems too small for a Dunlin, but this is hard to judge. More, the bird doesnt shout Dunlin too me. But the reason is surely some kind of single picture effect.
I am puzzled, because I get the feeling that Little Stint isnt the right answer too. Do you have more pictures of this bird? I guess it might well be a pitfall-picture of a Dunlin, after I downloaded the picture. And I discovered one more bird, that might be a Dunlin, hiding just behind the mystery bird.
And after a third look, I think that a Dunlin might well be the best fit. But Nearctic vagrants must surely considered in Ireland? I hope for more pictures and comments!

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back