• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is 6lb heavy for a tripod? (1 Viewer)

Reesyd

Wales
Evening all
just secured a used Opticron MM4 60 and have an option of a Manfotto 055XPROB cheap with head locally. The tripod specs says it’s 2.4kg/ 5+lbs.
would this be to heavy or just about right?

Haven’t a clue as never used this type of set up before so any advice would be greatfully received.

TIA

How far are you going to be carrying it? What else will you be carrying at the same time? How big/strong are you - for carrying everything, however far you need to?
These would be some of the questions I'd be trying to answer, when I checked out the tripod to see if it would be suitable for what I'd be using it for.

Heavy! was using the manfrotto 190 (with mvh500ah head) and it worked fine, the head which was probably overkill. I have upgraded my tripod for a 3kg monster, but only for mounting heavier optics. Normally I put my 60mm4 on a manfrotto Befree live video tripod. It’s a bit flexi, but if it’s not windy then it’s fine and it doesn’t weight much at all. I tend to keep the tripod extended, fold the legs and sling it over my shoulder, very fast to then get on target.
Depends how far you’ll be walking. If you want to get any future larger optics or camera gear then the 055 might be a good investment as you won’t have to upgrade again.

Peter

How far are you going to be carrying it? What else will you be carrying at the same time? How big/strong are you - for carrying everything, however far you need to?
These would be some of the questions I'd be trying to answer, when I checked out the tripod to see if it would be suitable for what I'd be using it for.
Heavy! was using the manfrotto 190 (with mvh500ah head) and it worked fine, the head which was probably overkill. I have upgraded my tripod for a 3kg monster, but only for mounting heavier optics. Normally I put my 60mm4 on a manfrotto Befree live video tripod. It’s a bit flexi, but if it’s not windy then it’s fine and it doesn’t weight much at all. I tend to keep the tripod extended, fold the legs and sling it over my shoulder, very fast to then get on target.
Depends how far you’ll be walking. If you want to get any future larger optics or camera gear then the 055 might be a good investment as you won’t have to upgrade again.

Peter
Thanks. The person selling it, was/ is a photographer as is punting it as camera kit so I’ve asked to take a look at It. Considering getting a suitable lens in the future for our DSLR so could well be viable especially at the price being offered. The wife can carry the bins and sarnies if it gets a bit cumbersome. 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back