• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is layover in Doha or Dubai good for birding? (1 Viewer)

jurek

I have possibility of a trip with about half-day layover in Doha and Dubai. Any info about birds? I know nothing about Doha, and about Dubai I heard it is reasonably good but I don't know logistics and how much time one needs considering travel, rent a car, traffic jam possibility etc.

I have possibility of a trip with about half-day layover in Doha and Dubai. Any info about birds? I know nothing about Doha, and about Dubai I heard it is reasonably good but I don't know logistics and how much time one needs considering travel, rent a car, traffic jam possibility etc.

Dubai is one big traffic jam...

From Doha hotspots, I have 2-3 realistic lifers (Socotra Cormorant, White-cheeked Tern, Clamorous Reed-Warbler).
I wouldn't bother, given the soaring heat. I would rather go out in Doha, where Arabian Green Bee-eater is realistic, on top of those mentioned above.

But maybe you see it different.

ps: I haven't checked October, which could be far more interesting given that it's migration season.

From Doha hotspots, I have 2-3 realistic lifers (Socotra Cormorant, White-cheeked Tern, Clamorous Reed-Warbler).
I wouldn't bother, given the soaring heat. I would rather go out in Doha, where Arabian Green Bee-eater is realistic, on top of those mentioned above.

But maybe you see it different.

ps: I haven't checked October, which could be far more interesting given that it's migration season.
So where would you go in Doha?

I honestly don't plan to go, so I should do my homework before replying, but I checked a bit and Al Wathba wetland seems like a good start (with a decent chance for Arabian Babbler as well, which would be a lifer too).
Next I would hit the coast for the cormorant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back