• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is the Canon R6 a bird photographer's camera ? (1 Viewer)

I dont have a problem using R6 with 100-400 MK2 and a rf convertor the convertor is a electronics only device no glass used
Thank you very much!

I have the same lens so I might try the new camera. If you don't mind me asking, do you see any improvements with the same lens using the new R6 camera comparing to your old Canon "D"?

Kind regards and happy birding
Aladdin

The R6 locks on focus a lot quicker and tracks a lot quicker. I had a 7D mk 2 and I am glad I changed, I also nearly always use the 1.4 convertor
and dont see any difference from the 7D. Just started using back button focus so a lot of missed focus as I keep forgetting in the heat of the moment
Other people say the difference between a Digital camara and a SLR for wildelife is not very much but I find the more intelligent focusing is better for me

Dear members and bird watchers!

I have Canon 5D Mark III and IV

I have been looking in to buy the Canon R. But I read a review that it became very hot.

And I have 4 lenses that I had paid around 10 000 US Dollars for. But they say I can use these lenses on the R camera.

Anyone having experience using old lenses on the new system? I bought a x2 extender and I have never used it as the focus goes crazy and I have never managed to get any good pictures using the extender. So I am very hesitant to use a lens converter.

Is there anyone here with experience of using the old EF lenses with the new R system?

Aladdin
Absolutely no problem at all using EF lenses with my R5 ( and it should be the same with the R6), in fact some actually are better on the R5 than they were on the 5D4 and 1DX2.
It's not a converter as such, it's an adaptor so no glass involved just electronics.
I'd get the adaptor without the control ring, not needed in my opinion and less expensive but if you do order a camera, order the adapter at the same time /same bundle as there is a shortage still it appears.

Last edited:
The R6 locks on focus a lot quicker and tracks a lot quicker. I had a 7D mk 2 and I am glad I changed, I also nearly always use the 1.4 convertor
and dont see any difference from the 7D. Just started using back button focus so a lot of missed focus as I keep forgetting in the heat of the moment
Other people say the difference between a Digital camara and a SLR for wildelife is not very much but I find the more intelligent focusing is better for me
Thank you!

Sounds great and I think I will buy the new camera and sell my Mark III and keep the IV for back up. I have a lot of problem with the focus on birds with my D5 Mk IV. Bird in perfect focus and when I press the shutter the focus jumps to the leaf or twig next to the bird. Very annoying!

So I hope the new "eye detection" function will help against this.

Kind regards and happy birding!
Aladdin

Absolutely no problem at all using EF lenses with my R5 ( and it should be the same with the R6), in fact some actually are better on the R5 than they were on the 5D4 and 1DX2.
It's not a converter as such, it's an adaptor so no glass involved just electronics.
I'd get the adaptor without the control ring, not needed in my opinion and less expensive but if you do order a camera, order the adapter at the same time /same bundle as there is a shortage still it appears.
Thank you!

Yes, I had the R5 in mind. So the adaptor is just like a ring between the body and the lens. That sounds good!

And all the new features in your R5 (eye recognition etc.) will work as well with your old lenses?

I think already now, with all the help here I have decided to buy a R5 trying to trade in my Mk III

And I read that muddybandit was using his converter with the new camera so I might give my X2 another try with the R5 before it goes to the garbage bin.

I will go to Fotofile in Bangkok to have a look when I am back home again.

Aladdin

Thank you!

Sounds great and I think I will buy the new camera and sell my Mark III and keep the IV for back up. I have a lot of problem with the focus on birds with my D5 Mk IV. Bird in perfect focus and when I press the shutter the focus jumps to the leaf or twig next to the bird. Very annoying!

So I hope the new "eye detection" function will help against this.

Kind regards and happy birding!
Aladdin

I Have just moved from my old 5D Mk iii to an R6 and find it so much better for bird photography. The focus tracking is a superb addition and only purchasing the camera this week I have been trying it out with my Sigma 150-600 Sport lens and find it so much easier to use hand held than I ever did with my 5D. I think that the addition of in body stabilization really helps for hand holding such a heavy lens. Attached are a couple of images of egrets taken over my lake, hand held at 600mm. Although I have been taking pictures for many years I have only just got into bird photography and must confess that it is pretty compulsive once started. I am looking forward to spring when so many of our migrant species are back.

Attachments

• F44A0032-DeNoiseAI-clear-standard-scale-4_00x-gigapixel resized.jpg
    F44A0032-DeNoiseAI-clear-standard-scale-4_00x-gigapixel resized.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 43
  • resized 1.jpg
    resized 1.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 43
Had mine for 3 months: getting more impressed the more I use it: the AF system is to my mind the real asset but IQ is excellent and the ability to see what exposure you are getting through the EVF and change it on the hoof saves so many shots. these are all with the R6 canon 400DO2 and apart from Albert with the 1.4x
Great set of pictures. Do you not find that the in body stabilization also makes a huge difference to hand held shots ?

I Have just moved from my old 5D Mk iii to an R6 and find it so much better for bird photography. The focus tracking is a superb addition and only purchasing the camera this week I have been trying it out with my Sigma 150-600 Sport lens and find it so much easier to use hand held than I ever did with my 5D. I think that the addition of in body stabilization really helps for hand holding such a heavy lens. Attached are a couple of images of egrets taken over my lake, hand held at 600mm. Although I have been taking pictures for many years I have only just got into bird photography and must confess that it is pretty compulsive once started. I am looking forward to spring when so many of our migrant species are back.
Thanks!

Yes, I already decided to go for an R camera. I will try to trade in my Mk III and keep my Mk IV as a back up when traveling. Great pictures and the eyes are really clear.

So you just started with bird photography? Yes, it grows on you and even if you don't see any birds you have had a great day in nature.

Aladdin

Thanks!

Yes, I already decided to go for an R camera. I will try to trade in my Mk III and keep my Mk IV as a back up when traveling. Great pictures and the eyes are really clear.

So you just started with bird photography? Yes, it grows on you and even if you don't see any birds you have had a great day in nature.

Aladdin
Thanks and good luck with your new camera. You will find the eye focusing a real help, especially for birds in flight.

Great set of pictures. Do you not find that the in body stabilization also makes a huge difference to hand held shots ?
I’ve alway shot hand held so didn’t find too much additional difference but the ability to use high ISOs, 3200 is perfectly acceptable, mean you can ramp up the shutter speed in low light. I have also found that images with the 400DO2 and 2x converter are very good compared to generally poor on my old 5D4’s which is another bonus.

Attachments

• D26D928F-2C67-4FCB-8F2C-A5D5F5429546.jpeg
    D26D928F-2C67-4FCB-8F2C-A5D5F5429546.jpeg
    234.7 KB · Views: 66
  • A3895A93-918D-4292-9BEB-628ADC25C9D6.jpeg
    A3895A93-918D-4292-9BEB-628ADC25C9D6.jpeg
    251.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 15779EF1-2E2B-46D9-855D-4DEF5EB26D45.jpeg
    15779EF1-2E2B-46D9-855D-4DEF5EB26D45.jpeg
    179.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 24CB9AEF-DA6A-445D-A805-5E269054AA9D.jpeg
    24CB9AEF-DA6A-445D-A805-5E269054AA9D.jpeg
    439.9 KB · Views: 65
I’ve alway shot hand held so didn’t find too much additional difference but the ability to use high ISOs, 3200 is perfectly acceptable, mean you can ramp up the shutter speed in low light. I have also found that images with the 400DO2 and 2x converter are very good compared to generally poor on my old 5D4’s which is another bonus.
Dear Graham!

Is these pictures taken with ISO 3200? Great pictures, but if you have used 3200 they are fantastic! I have a 5D III and 5D IV and I cannot use more than 2500 ISO. And this is emergency cases, I always try to keep below ISO 2000.

And also, I have the X2 converter and I have never managed to get any good pictures. As I understand it you are using this converter with the R5 as well and you say the quality is good. I like what I read and I might dust it off and give it another try.

Aladdin

Dear members and bird watchers!

I have Canon 5D Mark III and IV

I have been looking in to buy the Canon R. But I read a review that it became very hot.

And I have 4 lenses that I had paid around 10 000 US Dollars for. But they say I can use these lenses on the R camera.

Anyone having experience using old lenses on the new system? I bought a x2 extender and I have never used it as the focus goes crazy and I have never managed to get any good pictures using the extender. So I am very hesitant to use a lens converter.

Is there anyone here with experience of using the old EF lenses with the new R system?

Aladdin
You don’t mention which lenses you have. I’ve used my R6 with all my EF lenses including a Sigma 500mm f4.5, Canon 400mm, both very old lenses, with no problem. The only limitations you have these older lenses is a lower frame rate using mechanical shutter. Canons website lists which ones. I did have a problem with a third party tele converter but not the Canon one.

one of the reasons I stuck with Canon when moving over to mirrorless was that using the the EF lenses was seemless.

Thankyo
You don’t mention which lenses you have. I’ve used my R6 with all my EF lenses including a Sigma 500mm f4.5, Canon 400mm, both very old lenses, with no problem. The only limitations you have these older lenses is a lower frame rate using mechanical shutter. Canons website lists which ones. I did have a problem with a third party tele converter but not the Canon one.

one of the reasons I stuck with Canon when moving over to mirrorless was that using the the EF lenses was seemless.
Thank you Frank!

I have
Canon EF 28-300/3,5-5,6 L IS USM
Canon EF 70-200/2,8L IS II USM
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM lens
Canon EF 18-55mm
Canon Speedlite 600EXII-RT flash

So I hope to be able to use them on the R camera. And I am also looking forward to be able to use my Speedlite 600EXII-RT flash with high shutter speed. Can do it now, but always forget how to do the setting when it is time to use it.

And I am looking forward to test my x2 after having read Graham's report. Brought it to hides etc. a couple of times before giving up on the extender

Aladdin

thanks to all for posting thoughts on R6. Rented one for a week and was certainly impressed with new focus system and low light performance. Frank you blog is well done and the pics are awesome. Based on my budget this is probably the way for me to go unless they announce a new aps-c. But not holding my breath on that one. Will be a couple a months before I pull the trigger as getting a new knee next and want to be mobile before getting a new camera
Just seen your comment regarding my blog. Thanks. You may have now seen strong rumours regarding the R7, possibly coming out at the end of the year, if you haven't already brought the R6. I would probably get one to complement my R6 but even if they do come out this year, I'm guessing the waiting list would be a long one.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back