• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a good deal on Pentax DCF ED 8x43? (1 Viewer)

DCRanger

In the market for a quality optic 8X and like to keep it under $1200 new or used. I found a pair of DCF ED 8X43s, one year old and in great shape. The guy is asking $475. Sounds pretty good but I would be buying them sight unseen. And I'm not sure if their warranty would transfer. Any thoughts? I had a pair of DCF HRII and loved them, but they were stolen last year and I'm in the market for an upgrade. It's either this or I might jump up to a Vortex Razor HD or Swaro SLC or used EL.

Don't know about the warranty but it looks like a good buy if you can live with it's narrow field of view. Camera Land Demo's cost $300.00 more.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/pentax.pl?page=pentaxdcfed8x43

Swaro 8 x 30 SLC's are being discounted now at the lowest price you are likely to ever get and are a really fine binocular if you can (again!) live with (this time) the front mounted focus wheel which you must use your ring finger to focus with. You also get the optional winged eye cups with them. At least I did with mine. They have a significantly shorter eye relief than the Pentax but a much wider field of view. I like them alot. SONA's warranty is unparalleled.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/swarovski.pl?page=swarovski8x30slc

Bob

And Oh Yes: Welcome to Bird Forum:hi:

Last edited:
Thanks Bob. This place is a wealth of information....best I've seen.

I did see Doug's prices at Camera Land and was initially thinking of scooping up those 8X30 SLCs at that great price...just not sure how I'd like the front focus and the exit pupil. Mostly use them for archery/rifle deer hunting in the midwest and birding of course. The EDs look like a good deal to me too, but little concerned about not having the warranty. Doug also has a great price on a 8X42 Victory FL demo. Big jump in price but also big jump in quality. I guess buying the demo from cameralandy would be like getting a new version with warranty and all...so that's something to consider.

Sounds like a good price for the used Pentax bins, but I don't think their warranty is transferable - best to just call them at (800) 877-0155 and check for yourself.

I got a pair Swaro 8x30 SLCs at the current closeout price from cameralandny and also like them a lot - I was a little concerned about the front mounted focuser but got used to it quickly.

In any case, if buying something you haven't already personally tried I think it only makes sense to order from somewhere with a good trial/return policy - cameraland or Amazon, Eagle Optics, B&H, etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back