• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this bird a young Rose-breasted Grosbeak? (1 Viewer)

At times I do see the Rose-breasted Grosbeak in the Fall. This is the firs time I have seen this young one in the winter.
I got a picture of the young one and the mother. I'm I right? Thanks. The baby looks more red in this photo. Different lighting?younggg.jpgbabymother.jpg

Hi ya Ella!

I think these two are also a juvenile and female Purple Finch but let's see what others have to say ;)

At times I do see the Rose-breasted Grosbeak in the Fall. This is the firs time I have seen this young one in the winter.
I got a picture of the young one and the mother. I'm I right? Thanks. The baby looks more red in this photo. Different lighting?View attachment 1361648View attachment 1361649
Actually, I think that the top one very well might be a Pine Siskin. Notice that they both share slightly yellow wing bars. Here is a picture of one: 1621263757117.png

I'm not familiar with how their beaks change as the Pine Siskins mature, but do they look different to anyone else? It seems like the adult Pine Siskin has a longer, more pointed beak than the submitted photos.

The eyebrow on the submitted photo also seems reminiscent of a female House Sparrow; does anyone know if adolescent House Sparrows sport this marking?

I believe that it is a Pine Siskin. What year was this photo put up? I have learned more over the years about the birds and their names.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back