• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this Lidl PC a good spec ? (5 Viewers)

Leif said:
Erm, why are you posting those links?

Leif

You commented on your 'non standard' Dell machine and twice mentioned having had difficulty finding info online on Dells.

Doesn't look non standard to me and all the info is out there. Thought you may like to bookmark them for future reference.

I don't see any monitor mentioned in the spec for the PC, and there's not one pictured in the advert which is usually a give-away that they aren't offering one.

This is maybe not a problem if you're happy with your existing monitor but it's something to consider when comparing the price of this spec against PC bundles offered by other (high street/mail order) companies that do include a monitor - generally a 17' flatscreen.

Alan

Just had a cursory check on PC World and they're doing what looks as good, if not better (Pentium 4) package (unfortunately I can't get into the detailed spec 'cos the page won't load) with 17' LCD monitor for £999.

Based on the fact a 17' monitor would set you back around £150 - £200, that puts this Lidl machine on a pricing par with the one from PC World - and PC World aren't as competitively priced as other companies that advertise mail order in the likes of mail-order inComputer Shopper.

Alan

Last edited:
Andrew Rowlands said:
You commented on your 'non standard' Dell machine and twice mentioned having had difficulty finding info online on Dells.

Doesn't look non standard to me and all the info is out there. Thought you may like to bookmark them for future reference.

Andrew: I think you have missed the point. I was explaining why I would not buy a Dell, not asking for specs. I'm not sure why you think I need specs for a Xeon PC? I simply mentioned it in passing as an example of a PC with a Dell designed motherboard. My home PC was a Dell, and my experience with their phone support was so poor that I did not consider a Dell as the replacement.

Leif

???

How can a simple request about whether a PC sold by Lidl is any good, result in yet another cyber-fight on BF?

:storm:

Alan

Last edited:
Yes, I'm sorry I seem to have started a slanging match about whether Dell are any good or not.
I'm still not sure what to do, I might see if Aldi release their Medion PC again, as they are doing in Germany to match Lidl's. I know it received good reviews in the computer mags when it was last released, I just hope they increase the RAM to 1GB from the 512MB last year.
Thanks anyway for all the comments.

tufty said:
Yes, I'm sorry I seem to have started a slanging match about whether Dell are any good or not.
I'm still not sure what to do, I might see if Aldi release their Medion PC again, as they are doing in Germany to match Lidl's. I know it received good reviews in the computer mags when it was last released, I just hope they increase the RAM to 1GB from the 512MB last year.
Thanks anyway for all the comments.

Paul: Sorry about going off topic. I don't think you share any blame.

As an aside, you can always buy extra memory elsewhere and install it yourself. It's no big deal as long as you take a little care about static and make sure you get the right kind. www.Crucial.com are a highly respected and competitive source of memory and they have a memory chooser tool that makes sure you get the right kind. If you buy with the intention of adding memory straight away, make sure there are spare slots!

Leif

And today Aldi have, as expected advertised their Medion PC on sale from next Thursday 17th March.
High performance 3.2GHz-2MB L2 Cache-800 MHz FSB
64 bit Technology
XL-HARD DISC CAPACITY
Enormous 320 GB
Hard disc capacity
XL-MEMORY
XL-HIGH-END GRAPHICS
ATI RADEON X740 XL
XL-BURNER
XL-PACKAGE
DVB-T Digital TV TUNER
Analogue stereo TV & FM Radio Tuner Card
Bluetooth
WLAN 54 MBit/s
9 in 1 Memory Card Reader
6x USB 2.0 2x front, 4x rear
2x FireWire IEEE 1394, 1x front, 1x rear
8-channel Intel® High Definition Audio
LAN Network Controller
56K V.9x PCI Data/Fax modem
SOFTWARE XL
Microsoft Works Suite 2005

So that's me totally unsure now !!!!!!!

tufty said:
And today Aldi have, as expected advertised their Medion PC on sale from next Thursday 17th March.
High performance 3.2GHz-2MB L2 Cache-800 MHz FSB
64 bit Technology
XL-HARD DISC CAPACITY
Enormous 320 GB
Hard disc capacity
XL-MEMORY
XL-HIGH-END GRAPHICS
ATI RADEON X740 XL
XL-BURNER
XL-PACKAGE
DVB-T Digital TV TUNER
Analogue stereo TV & FM Radio Tuner Card
Bluetooth
WLAN 54 MBit/s
9 in 1 Memory Card Reader
6x USB 2.0 2x front, 4x rear
2x FireWire IEEE 1394, 1x front, 1x rear
8-channel Intel® High Definition Audio
LAN Network Controller
56K V.9x PCI Data/Fax modem
SOFTWARE XL
Microsoft Works Suite 2005

So that's me totally unsure now !!!!!!!
Aldi are a far better outfit than Lidl, I reckon. Also, it's a Medion with 2 years warranty. It's top spec in every way - go for it! Ours was £699-00 and it's a dream PC. The graphics are what makes it - on top of the excellent other spec.

I personally make my own computers from easy to obtain components to my own spec, however if I were to buy a ready built machine I would probably go for Mesh, they consistantly receive top or excellent reviews in most of the UK computer magazines. I certainly wouldn't go to the likes of Dixons, PC World, Tiny or Dell if I wanted a good spec computer at a good price, that just keeps on working and with good backup if I need it.

nirofo.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back