• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is Zeiss Terra ED 8x25 made for birds watching? (1 Viewer)

I was convinced yes, it is a good binocular for birds watching, but the Zeiss web site seems to disagree.
How is your experience with this one?

Ted,

I own the Terra 8x25 and agree with the web site. They are the least suitable Terra binoculars for birding but more suitable for casual all around use. But if someone needs a 25 mm pocket the Terra works well enough for enjoyable birding.

Mike

I own the Terra 8x25 and agree with the web site. They are the least suitable Terra binoculars for birding but more suitable for casual all around use. But if someone needs a 25 mm pocket the Terra works well enough for enjoyable birding.
It is so because of the 8x25 form or because it needs superior corrections, superior coating?

It is so because of the 8x25 form or because it needs superior corrections, superior coating?

Ted yes as between the Terras for birding, it's the 8x25 format which gathers less light than a 32, or 42, etc., and has the smallest FOV 357' whereas the 8x32 Terra is @ 400'. The Optics and coatings are very good for an 8x25 in the price range. The better coatings, optics and larger FOV of the Zeiss VP and SW Curio and the better coatings and optics of SW 8x25 CL and UV 8x20 (but basically same FOV as the Terra) make these pocket models better for birding than the Terra, but they are twice the price of course.

Mike

Any pocket binoculars can be used for birdwatching if this is the only option available. There is an astronomer Friedrich Wilhelm Gerber who discovered many comets with only 8x20 binoculars!!! (it was an 8x20 Trinovid). Of course, these are exceptions and many other binoculars would have been more appropriate, but what I want to emphasize is that big things can be done with small binoculars. ;) The best binoculars are the ones you have with you;) That's why I really like pocket binoculars, and Zeiss Terra is also in this group, actually with very good performance!

Almost any binocular can be used for almost any viewing purpose,
but all are compromises and the changes needed for small size
limiteds some usefulness.
I see the best use of the compacts is to have when you do not plan to need-just in case.

edj

note
This week I am a volunteer/troubleshooter for a youth group.
I doubt any need for binoculars but I will be wearing the 8x25 terras.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back