• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jan 1st.New Year List (1 Viewer)

tchagra

Hi Folks

Well,the 1st.saw usual start of the year bird list,weather great here in S.Spain for it.Tried to be a little eco friendly so planned a more local route than usual.

64 species seen between 09.30 and 16.30 so not bad after a later than planned start!!

I will skip the normal stuff but just give the highlights

First stop was Laguna de Las Camelias,where I normally pick up my first Swallow and House Martin but not this year.But did get a 1st year Black Necked Grebe,first for this part.site and a male Siskin.Last winter was poor for the latter species but this winter has seen big influxes

No wintering ducks either,but there is so much water around they are prob.spread far and wide.

So next stop was reserve at Sotogrande.On 23rd.december while I was in Brazil this neck of the woods of spain had one of its worst recorded storms,and the reserve had not been spared.The sea had washed way over the beach ,some 50 yards and dumped about 1 ft.of sand into the reeds and lagoon area and wreked some of my ringing lanes.Quite devastating,earlier last year there was severe weather here and the new elevated boardwalk was washws away into the lagoon and reed beds so we have had a double whammy ,lets hope this year things get better,but I doubt it somehow!!

Still,the birds did not seem too affected,the Purple Swamphens have now returned,flushed a Common Snipe,counted 5 1st year Med.gulls,plus a fuscus Lesser Black Back (excellent record for here).,plus the obligatory Kingfisher.

Then over to San Enrique woodland by the Rip Guadiaro,lots more Siskins,another Kingfisher and a wintering Common Buzzard.

On the drive to Palmones Estuary to pick up some waders,noted the usual White Storks already on their nests,in fact have been for a good 2 months at least!!

Parked in Palmones by the beach opp.Gibraltar,noted another Black Necked grebe on the sea,climbed the sand dunes to get across to the scope the river,luckily I had timed it right for once,low tide and there were lots of waders around.Ticked a lot of the usual suspects but the highlights were not this species but a 1st.winter Little Gull,a species never easy to find in the winter down here,it flew off to sea only minutes after finding it,so were dead lucky,plus 3 Ospreys,and an adult Slender Billed gull,the first I have seen at this part.site.

On way home paid homage to a local bird site which always turns up something interesting.The new Motorway has cut through some of it but most remains unspoilt.

Today I was not disappointed,a cracking male Blue Rock Thrush,but the best bird for me was the boring little brown job,a wintering Dunnock. O.K.it may be boring for lots of birders but finding this species down here is not easy so that was a real bonus,they are even more secretive than in UK,where according to the BTO nest record scheme things are not faring too well for them.

A very reasonable list to start the year off with no doubt many highlights to follow in the ensuing months

Next report will hopefully be on my first ringing exploits but weather has turned sour today and more wet stuff forecast till clearing for Sat.

Saludos

Ricardo

An excellent day's birding Ricardo - certainly better than my start to the year. The weather here was so poor I didn't even venture out of the house, wet and windy all day. My bird list for 1st January consisted of a (probable) black headed gull, accidentally glimpsed from my study window as I turned to pick something from my desk and a common starling (song only) on the roof outside.3:)

The last time I was at Sotogrande the boardwalk was precarious along the section on the beach. It sounds as if the recent storms have finished the job. I was also in Estepona in late September when the spectacular storms occurred that caused so much damage in Malaga and Almunecar.

I think I've got a photo of your San Enrique buzzard. Whenever I've been there in recent years there has usually been a single dark buzzard frequenting the tall eucalyptus trees at the west end of the track. I managed a couple of photos of it in September 2004 (one of them attached), but it's always flown off before I can get a picture when I've seen it since.

I'm now getting ready for Coto Donana and Extemadura at the end of February. Roll on.

Attachments

• Buzzard 01 copy.jpg
    Buzzard 01 copy.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 78
An interesting report particularly since Sotogrande & Palmones are two areas I feel I ought to have explored on my regular trips down to Spain, but have never quite got round to doing so properly. Being based a bit further north (Alcala de los Gazules) I always tend to head to la Janda, various lakes or the coast at Trafalgar.

Here in Kent I had an hour or two at Stodmarsh - however as I had my wife & daughter with me it was more of a walk than serious birding. Even so I had Cetti's Warbler, Chiffchaff, Marsh Harrier, Kingfisher (never predictable), Ruff and 8+ Water Pipit.

Do please, keep reporting from your area. It helps me know what to expect when I come out!

John

re S.Spain

An interesting report particularly since Sotogrande & Palmones are two areas I feel I ought to have explored on my regular trips down to Spain, but have never quite got round to doing so properly. Being based a bit further north (Alcala de los Gazules) I always tend to head to la Janda, various lakes or the coast at Trafalgar.

Here in Kent I had an hour or two at Stodmarsh - however as I had my wife & daughter with me it was more of a walk than serious birding. Even so I had Cetti's Warbler, Chiffchaff, Marsh Harrier, Kingfisher (never predictable), Ruff and 8+ Water Pipit.

Do please, keep reporting from your area. It helps me know what to expect when I come out!

John

Hi John

You have yourself a great base for birding.I know the area fairly well as I often come to Alcala for a woodland which turns up most of the species for my year list,you probably bird it as well.

Of course ,you got all the other great birding sites pretty close to hand,esp.La Janda,I have a good ringing site there.

Two of my other fav.sites are Brazo del Este and Sanlucar area,means I dont have to travel all way to Doñana to see some great birds.,do you ever get there

I will certainly keep local reports coming ,prob.a little far from you but at weekend the weather is forecast to improve,off to Rio Guadalhorce,Montes de Malaga and Rio Velez.

Let me know when you are coming out,perhaps we can hook up to do something together.

Cheers for now

Ricardo

P.S. Have been retired from UK and lived in this neck of the woods for 11 years now!!

An excellent day's birding Ricardo - certainly better than my start to the year. The weather here was so poor I didn't even venture out of the house, wet and windy all day. My bird list for 1st January consisted of a (probable) black headed gull, accidentally glimpsed from my study window as I turned to pick something from my desk and a common starling (song only) on the roof outside.3:)

The last time I was at Sotogrande the boardwalk was precarious along the section on the beach. It sounds as if the recent storms have finished the job. I was also in Estepona in late September when the spectacular storms occurred that caused so much damage in Malaga and Almunecar.

I think I've got a photo of your San Enrique buzzard. Whenever I've been there in recent years there has usually been a single dark buzzard frequenting the tall eucalyptus trees at the west end of the track. I managed a couple of photos of it in September 2004 (one of them attached), but it's always flown off before I can get a picture when I've seen it since.

I'm now getting ready for Coto Donana and Extemadura at the end of February. Roll on.

Hi Alan

You should have a great time in Doñana and Extremedura.

Two of my other fav.sites are Brazo del Este and Sanlucar area,means I dont have to travel all way to Doñana to see some great birds.,do you ever get there,

I will keep local reports coming ,prob. you have not been to them,but at weekend the weather is forecast to improve,off to Rio Guadalhorce,Montes de Malaga and Rio Velez.

Many thankd for photo,may well be the same bird but did not look at it too closely

We shall be off to Extremedura in Spring to tick off all the usual suspects.

Cheers for now

Ricardo

P.S. Have been retired from UK and lived in this neck of the woods for 11 years now!!

Hi Alan

You should have a great time in Doñana and Extremedura.

Two of my other fav.sites are Brazo del Este and Sanlucar area,means I dont have to travel all way to Doñana to see some great birds.,do you ever get there,

I will keep local reports coming ,prob. you have not been to them,but at weekend the weather is forecast to improve,off to Rio Guadalhorce,Montes de Malaga and Rio Velez.

Many thankd for photo,may well be the same bird but did not look at it too closely

We shall be off to Extremedura in Spring to tick off all the usual suspects.

Cheers for now

Ricardo

I've often been to the southern edge of Doñana - the Bonanza/Tebujena area on previous trips, most recently in September, but this is my first trip into the Coto proper. It's really a trip to Extremadura, but the flights were usless to Madrid for me so I'm flying into Malaga and staying a couple of nights at El Rocio before travelling north for 4 nights. The last night will be at Antequera, handy for the airport and just time for a pop into Fuente de Piedra and El Torcal before coming home.

The May trip's already planned. 3 nights in the Pyrenees followed by a fortnight on the Ebro.

I get across to differnt areas whenever I can. I love it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back