• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jersey tiger moth? Ham Wall, UK (1 Viewer)

Julie50

Mostly in the Midlands :)
Supporter
United Kingdom
Hi

I also saw this moth when I went to Ham Wall on my recent hols. I think it is like the pics of a Jersey tiger moth, but is Ham Wall a bit north?

Attachments

• P1120047.jpeg
    P1120047.jpeg
    9.1 MB · Views: 5
Hi

I also saw this moth when I went to Ham Wall on my recent hols. I think it is like the pics of a Jersey tiger moth, but is Ham Wall a bit north?
Hi. Definitely a Jersey Tiger! Normally Southern counties, Devon, Isle of Wight, Dorset, but it is spreading it's range.

Still none in my trap but East wind tonight so maybe some drift from the London area.

John

All mine have been day flying or resting on walls. It will be interesting to see how attracted to a trap they'll be when mine arrives.

First Painted Ladies arrived on my patch today.

All mine have been day flying or resting on walls. It will be interesting to see how attracted to a trap they'll be when mine arrives.

They were certainly very attracted to my MV Robinson trap when I used to run one - I've had several dozen in a catch many times.

I've had them in the past few years but not so far this year. They do like the trap when they are around.

John

I had 33 three night ago, easily outnumbering all the other moths. My previous highest number was 8. This was in Beaconsfield where I saw my first one in 2014.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back