• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

June Moths (1 Viewer)

19 spp in the trap last night along with a thousand flying ants and 3 Cockchafers. NFY: 2 Green Oak Tortrix, Mottled Pug, White Ermine, Treble Brown Spot, Acleris forsskaleana. Numbers: 20 Heart and Dart, 5 Setaceous Hebrew Character, 3 Willow Beauty, 3 Bee Moth. Pretty stuff: Brimstone Moth, Light Emerald. A few micros got away and I have pix of a couple I haven't looked at yet, so final score may be just into the 20s.

John

39 Green Oak Tortrix for me - apart from comparable numbers in 2006 and 2018 I get hardly any so they must be migrants, tying in with loads on the south and east coasts yesterday.
Plus a smart Figure of Eighty and lots of standard fare, total 81 of 17.
Tonight should be good as well.

Best night so far of 2023 yesterday.
Pale Tussock (6)
Brimstone (3)
Alder Kitten (local?)
Mocha (very local?)
H&D (15)
Middle barred minor? (See pic...I keep thinking it is and then not)
May Highflier (2)
Bufftip (1)
Lobster Moth (2)
Pug sp (see pic)
White Ermine(3)
Dark Arches (1)
Green Oak Tortrix (1)
Trebles Lines (2)
Setaceous Hebrew Character (1)
Common Wainscot (1)
LYU (1)
Knotgrass (1)

Attachments

• 20230611_060502.jpg
    20230611_060502.jpg
    723.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230611_060430.jpg
    20230611_060430.jpg
    696.3 KB · Views: 7
Best night so far of 2023 yesterday.
Pale Tussock (6)
Brimstone (3)
Alder Kitten (local?)
Mocha (very local?)
H&D (15)
Middle barred minor? (See pic...I keep thinking it is and then not)
May Highflier (2)
Bufftip (1)
Lobster Moth (2)
Pug sp (see pic)
White Ermine(3)
Dark Arches (1)
Green Oak Tortrix (1)
Trebles Lines (2)
Setaceous Hebrew Character (1)
Common Wainscot (1)
LYU (1)
Knotgrass (1)
Yep, Middle-barred Minor.

John

This morning’s haul (19 of 9) slightly down on yesterday’s was still relatively exciting with a “life tick” albeit nationally not uncommon, which in itself did nothing to diminish it’s aesthete….Wormwood Pug no less!
Accompanied by 2 (foy) Mochas and a veritable swarm of Small-dusty Waves (5).

Attachments

• IMG_6529.jpeg
    IMG_6529.jpeg
    151.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6518.jpeg
    IMG_6518.jpeg
    627.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6523.jpeg
    IMG_6523.jpeg
    596.8 KB · Views: 2
For me, bonkers numbers of Heart and Dart this morning with 47 in the trap. 4 Green Oak Tortrix was also notable, other numbers were 2 Poplar Hawk Moths, 6 Treble Lines, 3 Marbled Minor agg and 2 Seraphim. NFY: Barred Red, Meal Moth, Flame, Small Seraphim, Green and also Wormwood Pugs, though these were not new moths for my list. Otherwise a routine range of species mainly from the Hampshire top 20 for this week.

Edit: total catch 83 moths.

John

Last edited:
June 11th - another good night with 46 of 23 including 11 NFY.
Highlight a Scarlet Tiger, still scarce in the area and only my 2nd.
Early individuals of Carcina quercana and Small Blood-vein.
An Elephant Hawk, two Peppered Moths, three Setaceous Hebrew Characters.
Oddly only one Green Oak Tortrix after yesterday's 39 - where have they all gone so quickly?

14 of 9 this am for me, excluding several escapes to include 2 foy’s (Dark Sword-Grass+ Blotched Emerald) also my 3rd Mocha for the year and last but not least a Freyer’s Pug.

Attachments

• IMG_6549.jpeg
    IMG_6549.jpeg
    318.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6545.jpeg
    IMG_6545.jpeg
    922.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_6544.jpeg
    IMG_6544.jpeg
    512.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_6542.jpeg
    IMG_6542.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
14 of 9 this am for me, excluding several escapes to include 2 foy’s (Dark Sword-Grass+ Blotched Emerald) also my 3rd Mocha for the year and last but not least a Freyer’s Pug.
Your first photo here shows a Large Yellow Underwing.

Walking on Chobham Common today nice to see a mating pair of Clouded Buff, several Brown Silver-line, Brown China-mark by a pool & Mint Moth by some Water Mint.

Good to see 13 (just 1 female) Silver-studded Blues too.

Trapped again last night and was distracted a couple of times by a large shadow on the wall as something big flew round the trap: couldn't see it. Found it this morning though: a female Stag Beetle had reversed itself into an egg-box cup! Stag Beetles are quite common round Farnborough and once in a while one or two are attracted to the light. This one was NFY.

That was pick of the crop though my first Diamond-back Moth since the start of my micro self-torture was a tick. Numbers were another 6 Green Oak Tortrix, 23 Heart and Dart and 2 Green Pugs. Tachystola acroxantha was NFY but all the other singles were repeats, Clouded Border being the aesthetic top of the day. One micro still in fridge, so total was 43 of 14 spp.

John

8 of 14 this am with the only highlight being 2 Treble Brown Spot! 😩
+ another just found!
Cypress Pine Carpet
9 of 15.🤩

Attachments

• IMG_6568.jpeg
    IMG_6568.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Just eight of thirteen this am however, my 2nd lifer in 2 days, with Pine Carpet not even on the radar🤩

Attachments

• IMG_6621.jpeg
    IMG_6621.jpeg
    890.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6614.jpeg
    IMG_6614.jpeg
    770.4 KB · Views: 5
45 of 21 for me with the highlight being a Pine Hawk-moth. Also NFY Barred Yellow and Common Marbled Carpet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back