• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just An Observation (1 Viewer)

Hi Alan—who joined Cloudy Nights a month before I did in 2004:

Jump all you want! I have been out of the business for 9 years now, except for writing. So, I won't be in a position to help you with that one. And the sporting goods store in Twin Falls, Idaho would probably say, “What’s a Fujinon?” I’m trying to unload stuff now for a little “burger money” and so the kids won’t have to.

If memory serves—and these days, it does so sporadically—I believe the 14s were created for the Israeli Army. Thus, you might look to sources further East. :cat:

Best of luck. It’s a fine instrument, though the 16s are more plentiful.

Bill

Hey Bill,

Yes and I am still known to look skyward with binoculars at night.

I could never make a pair of the 16x work because the eyepieces are too large, and the eye relief too short, for my narrow IPD, large beak, and deep set eyes. I tell folks that the nose relief of the 16x70 is insufficient.

I did run into a pair of banged up Israeli Military 14x70s about ten years back and on your recommendation sent them to Baker Marine in San Diego for collimation and refurbishment. They were very helpful and agreed to charge only a small fee to examine and ship back if they felt they were not worthy of repair. Their concern when I first called was the integrity where the hinge joins to the body and if I remember right this can effect prism shelves as well. But, the basic mechanics were fine and they returned a very serviceable binocular.

The only disappointment with the Israeli milspec version compared to the commercial Meibo, was the coatings. The Meibo is ebeam and the Israeli spec is (or at least was) MgF2. While the images are excellent and I use it all the time, it does not have the transmission of a binocular with decent coatings. For instance, a cheap Chinese (Oberwerk) 15x70 is no match mechanically or in terms of tight star images, but it sees a bit deeper largely because of the better coatings. I still prefer the Fujinon 14x70 as a mounted binocular since the view is more pleasing and it is built like a tank. And even with repair work, it only set me back about $200.

And now back to our regularly scheduled content.

Thanks,
Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back