• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Just doing my semi obligatory pre posting intro (1 Viewer)

Womble Alice

Hi,
I'm Alice and I know nothing :h?: . Well birding wise at least, I'm hoping to learn about digicameras and how far an optical lens will actually allow you to take photos (i.e ones for us beginners that don't cost 600 quid :C ) I know nothing about camera lens's, except that digital zoom is completely useless.
love
Womble Alice

Hello Alice and welcome to Birdforum.net

I used the Olympus 750UZ which has a 10x optical zoom. There are also a few more cameras, I believe, on the market with the 10x zoom. You are right, the digital zoom is just a marketing ploy!

Take a look at the following link, which is the photography forum

http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=111

You may find some useful info there. Good luck :t:

Regards

Hi Alice,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin.

Helen has already pointed you in the right direction for info. You are right about digital zoom - I have it disabled on my camera.

helenol said:
Hello Alice and welcome to Birdforum.net

I used the Olympus 750UZ which has a 10x optical zoom. There are also a few more cameras, I believe, on the market with the 10x zoom. You are right, the digital zoom is just a marketing ploy!

Take a look at the following link, which is the photography forum

http://www.birdforum.net/forumdisplay.php?f=111

You may find some useful info there. Good luck :t:

Regards

Hi there can you recommend something for someone with less than 150 pounds to spend or should I just give up till I win the lottery?
Also how far will a 3x optical let you see (presuming your target is a bird and you want more than an outline)
thanks
Womble Alice

Elizabeth Bigg said:
Hello Alice, and welcome to the forum. Just in case some of our non-UK members are puzzled by your name, The Wombles was (is)? a children's TV programme, and these creatures lived on Wimbledon Common - more info here:

http://www.wombles.easyweb-solutions.co.uk/

There are people out there with such deprived childhoods that they have no knowledge of us? ;)
I think I'll start an education campaign at once ;)
Alice
P.S. Thanks Elizabeth I didn't think of the international forum members. :hippy:

Welcome Alice from another relative newcomer. One of the great joys of this site is the fact that there are members from all over the place (and Yorkshire).

David FG said:
Welcome Alice from another relative newcomer. One of the great joys of this site is the fact that there are members from all over the place (and Yorkshire).

Thanks David, It seems like a nice friendly place.
Oh yeah and if anyone wants to answer my camera/zoom question (posted above) I'd be really grateful.:brains:
Thanks
Alice

To be honest Alice, I don't think the 3x zoom will be much use when photographing birds. Unless of course you manage to sneak up on a bird at very close range!

Post your question in the photography section I linked for you, there will no doubt be a wider audience. Someone should be able to come up with some prices for you, or at least point you in the right direction.

PS - Don't forget to do the lottery tonight ;)

Regards

Hi Alice,

Welcome to BirdForum from the other side of the pond. A lot of the people on the forum are interested in taking photos of birds so I believe you will get much useful information. I hope you find what you need/want and can start taking some great shots!

Oh, and I am sorry, I do not know a Womble from a Wiebble! LOL

David, the "Wiebble" is just a term that came to mind "out of the blue". Although, I do believe there was a children's toy here in the states a few years back that was so named. It was a figurerine that had a rounded, weighted base. When you knocked it sideways it would rock but always return to an upright position. It think the byword for the product was, "Wiebbles will wobble, but they won't fall down!"

Just a little bit of trivia (or dribble) depending on your point of view!

Please, do not throw rocks at me! ;-)

I just "googled" for this term and found that the actual name of the toy was "Weebble". I knew I had heard this somewhere!

Last edited:
Larry Lade said:
David, the "Wiebble" is just a term that came to mind "out of the blue". Although, I do believe there was a children's toy here in the states a few years back that was so named. It was a figurerine that had a rounded, weighted base. When you knocked it sideways it would rock but always return to an upright position. It think the byword for the product was, "Wiebbles will wobble, but they won't fall down!"
Just a little bit of trivia (or dribble) depending on your point of view!
Please, do not throw rocks at me! ;-)
I just "googled" for this term and found that the actual name of the toy was "Weebble". I knew I had heard this somewhere!

In England we call it a WEEBLE, it was really big when I was little in the 70's everyone had weebles. And your right they wobble but they don't fall down.
Incidently Marks and Sparks (English shop) have relaunched them this Christmas in the UK. http://www.marksandspencer.com/IWCa...chant_Id=1&Section_Id=1083&Product_Id=1491107
Although the little fellas don't look quite as rounded as the 70"s originals
Womble Alice

Womble Alice said:
In England we call it a WEEBLE, it was really big when I was little in the 70's everyone had weebles. And your right they wobble but they don't fall down.
Incidently Marks and Sparks (English shop) have relaunched them this Christmas in the UK. http://www.marksandspencer.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=1&Section_Id=1083&Product_Id=1491107
Womble Alice
Hi Alice, welcome to birdforum, we hope you enjoy the site. I can imagine lots of people reading this thread and getting nostalgic for the toys they received when they were kids, I can feel a thread coming on in the 'ruffled feathers' forum ;)

You do seem rather short on budget for anything appropriate for bird photography, maybe it will be a case of saving up a bit more. Even secondhand prices for an acceptable digital camera may be beyond you for the time being.

3x optical zoom doesn't get you very close at all, espescially if the bird is small... you could possibly make do by having a feeding station very close to your position, you taking the photos of feeding birds whilst hidden. If your main goal is to simply have your photos displayed on your pc monitor/web, then you can crop the resulting image to enlarge the subject.

regards,
Andy

Womble Alice said:
Incidently Marks and Sparks (English shop) have relaunched them this Christmas in the UK. http://www.marksandspencer.com/IWCa...chant_Id=1&Section_Id=1083&Product_Id=1491107
Womble Alice

How about this one - it's nearly forty years old, and we call such things a kelly!!!

Attachments

• Kelly.jpg
    Kelly.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 137
Elizabeth Bigg said:
How about this one - it's nearly forty years old, and we call such things a kelly!!!

Goodness EB, I don't remember these! ;) or should that be them?

Eagle

Sorry Womble Alice quite forgot! Welcome to BF! ;)

I went to College opposite Wombledon Common in the early 70's! :eek!:

Eagle

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back