• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfisher North West UK (1 Viewer)

medz

I'm based in Warrington and I've been searching elusive Kingfishers in North West UK without success for more years than I care to recall . Are there any spots I could try ?

Eric Morecambe Hide at Leighton Moss Medz.Often fly past the hide,often seen sat on fenceposts in front of hide.Good Luck.:t:

Martin Mere may be a little handier for Warrington and they are fairly regular from the Millers Bridge Hide. Similarly there is a post in front of one of the hides at Mere Sands Wood (could be the Rufford hide) which Kingfishers were using when I was last there.

Like other vocal species (e.g. Great Spotted Woodpecker) it helps to know the call so you can be prepared for one flying past.

Stephen.

Mere Sands Wood is a good bet for kingfishers (that is where my photographs were taken). The Rufford, Lancaster and Marshall hides are favourite viewing spots although a young kingfisher was seen from the Cyril Gibbons hide last Friday. No guarantees of course....... Can give directions if needed

Hi medz

Contact me when you think you may be up this way (N Lanc's) I may be able to accompany you with an almost 100% guarantee for Kingfisher and some good coastal watching to boot.

The Kingfisher guarantee means we start at £50 and deduct £1 for every minute you are with me and we dont see one......JOKE!

Get in touch.

Pete.

Moore Nature reserve nearer to Warrington. Try the hide at the eastern reedbed. Also try the hide overlooking the mere at Marbury Country park. Both relatviely close and you should get them at either site.

On the 8th August saw 3 different Kingfishers at Pennington Flash. Picture taken from hide before feeding station. Good luck.

Attachments

• Kingfisher.jpg
    Kingfisher.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 111
Hi Medz,
I'm in Lymm & could probably show you a Kingfisher near to me on most days - let me know if you want to tag along.
H

Spoke to the Park Ranger at Stanley Park, Blackpool yesterday who stated that there is a Kingfisher that flits from Woodland Gardens (Across from Stanley Park) to the fence across the lake in Stanley Park, sat there for about an hour yesterday and didnt see him but I am told he is there often.

Based on the replies it seems you're not very good at looking! ;)

Mere Sands is most definitely a guarantee but best time would be in early morning in Rufford Hide, 8-10am that is. I'll even go one better than Pete and start at £60! :-O

Hope you find 'em!

In the river outside my front door.A pair are now seen ,having finished their breeding season,regularly visit our lower section of the river ,but cannot guarantee any specific time etc,albeit not at high tide.

Saw 2 Kingfishers yesterday (23rd December), one was at Marton Mere hugging the reeds on the main bank near the large green hide. The other on the fence at the far end of Stanley Park. Was a wonderful site on a pretty miserable day.

Wish I wasnt in work today as I would head back to see if he reappears.

At this time of year you'll usually find one in Sefton Park in Liverpool. If you need help finding it pop into A R Tyms butchers on Smithdown Road a couple of hundred yards away and I'm sure the proprietor will show you where it is ...

Saw 2 Kingfishers yesterday (23rd December), one was at Marton Mere hugging the reeds on the main bank near the large green hide. The other on the fence at the far end of Stanley Park. Was a wonderful site on a pretty miserable day.

Wish I wasnt in work today as I would head back to see if he reappears.

The Kingfisher's pretty regular at Marton Mere now perching on the first large hawthorn to the right of the overflow ditch at the Eastern end of the mere or on the reeds and stumps nearby. Best spot to see it from is just on the reserve side of the steel bridge over the overflow. It can be seen fishing from here if you're lucky.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back