• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Korea (Jeju) Warbler, Curlew & marine bird (1 Viewer)

kiwiguy

Hi all

My call here would be Sakhalin warbler and Far-eastern Curlew. I have no ideas for the third bird. Bonus points if anyone can ID the smaller birds in front of the curlew.

If (or when) either of my guesses is incorrect, pointers on why are always appreciated

tx in advance

Wayne Hodgkinson

Attachments

• unidentified.jpg
    unidentified.jpg
    568.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Warbler-Sakhalin.jpg
    Warbler-Sakhalin.jpg
    462.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Curlew-Far eastern.jpg
    Curlew-Far eastern.jpg
    601.5 KB · Views: 102
As you asked for ID pointers:

1. Agree with Eastern Crowned. Largish phylloscopus with clean white underparts and slightly yellow wash under tail. Fairly bright green on wings. Lower mandible unmarked orange. Long supercilium. It's not really possible to see the crown, but there is a suggestion of the crown stripe just appearing.

2. Great Knots. Waders with bulky bodies and smallish heads, but not long legs or neck. Very obvious black breast band and spotting on flanks.

3. Curlews have dark barred underwings and cinnamon tones to underparts, fitting Far Eastern (rump is not really visible but should also be dark). Great knots (on left) as above. Bar-tailed Godwit (on right) based on structure, especially the long, slightly upturned bill.

Hope that helps!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back