• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa or Meopta scopes? (1 Viewer)

Northman

I just need a simple spotting scope and I have found two reasonable ones where I live.

Kowa 664m 30x magnification
Meopta S1 75HD 30x magnification

Price is almost identical.. which one would you recommend?

Bear in mind the Kowa is a straight body (664)... but smaller and lighter than the Meopta. I've never used a Meostar but found the Kowa with x 30 wide perfectly okay.

Keep in mind in Kowa's scope line, only the 880 and 550 have fluorite lenses, the 770 and 660 make do with "XD" (ED, really) lenses. The MeoStar S1 HD is the old model.

I know :)

I just need a simple straight scope.. but with somewhat quality.
I can get either of them for 1/3 of the 880 or S2 line.

The 660M has better eyepiece it seems. Wider views.
But plastic body.
ED lenses.

S1 HD has narrower eyepiece.
But aluminium body.
APO lenses.

I am leaning towards the 660m because of the wider eyepiece.
Though the plastic body bothers me.

I know :)

But plastic body.
ED lenses.

S1 HD has narrower eyepiece.
But aluminium body.
APO lenses.

I am leaning towards the 660m because of the wider eyepiece.
Though the plastic body bothers me.

Just my thoughts, I have a 663 with the 30x eyepiece and I love it, it is a beautifully wide and crisp view. Never had any problems with the body being plastic. Never used or seen the Meopta, so cannot comment or compare, but can only give my positive recommendation based on 3 years of using the Kowa.

But plastic body.
ED lenses.
Have you considered at the Pentax 65ED straight? If you’re in the US you can pick one up at under $450, new, scope body only. I picked one up several months ago for under $380, brand new.
You can turn that into a great 30x wide view scope if coupled with one of several 13mm astro eyepieces out there.... TV Nagler 13mm/82* or Baader 12.5mm/76* Morpheus, for instance.
ES 14mm/82* or Pentax 14mm/70* will give you 28x. These are premium eyepieces but you also have the option of using many other generic brands of wide angle eyepieces out there that sell for well under $100 that perform very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back