• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa TS613 Primary ED (1 Viewer)

Sancho

Europe
Hi, does anyone have an opinion on this scope? I'm thinking if making am offer on a used one. Unfortunately it has the 20-60 eyepiece rather than the 30x. I'm wondering if it's considered good optically, and if it can go on a lightweight tripod.
(Obviously title should read 'Prominar', not 'Primary', trying to type on a phone with autocorrect)

Hiya Sancho,

The Kowa is a very competent scope even by modern standards - the only "issues" are lack of waterproofing, and a lack of rotating tripod mount.

A friend of mine compared my old ATS 65HD against a 613, the results are perhaps surprising given the cost to performance ratio...

Hi,

I have a 613 which is good but not a real cherry. It's used (too rarely) with the 30x wide and extender at 48x - good image, but the cherry TSN-3 at 56x is better. It really depends on sample variation what you get, I have another TSN-3 body which is only ok...

The weight is a bit more than half of the TSN-3 (which is fairly light at 1250g or so for body only), but with SOC, a sufficiently stable tripod (for around 50x - at 30x things are a bit less wobbly) and mulepack, the difference is not big enough for me to bother most of the time...

Joachim

Thanks for all the advice on this thread, my friends. I bought a secondhand 30x wide eyepiece, and on the 613 it makes a cracking, lightweight scope for walks and cycles.

It is great scope but do avoid rain and dust. Mine was great but filled with dust eventually or I'd still use it as a travel scope.

Will do, Steve. It came with a carry-bag, seems like a great fair-weather companion, outperforms my beloved ED50 without adding much weight. Now I need a lightweight tripod for cycling, like Slik Videosprint or whatever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back