• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lagos, Portugal, Gull with grey legs (2 Viewers)

Sunbird24

My first visit to Portugal for 5 years in September and noticed this large Gull with pinkish grey legs, more like a Herring Gull than the expected Yellow-legged Gull. There seemed to be a lot of these about in addition to the Yellow-legged variety which were also present. Is it perhaps a Herring, or a hybrid or not quite an adult and still has the juvenile leg colour?
As an aside, I also noticed a lot of Magpies about (the pied ones) which I had not previously seen this far west.

Attachments

• Gulls, Lagos, 4-9-23-9624.JPG
    Gulls, Lagos, 4-9-23-9624.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 65
  • Herring Gull, Lagos, 4-9-23-9551.JPG
    Herring Gull, Lagos, 4-9-23-9551.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 65
  • Herring Gull, Lagos, 4-9-23-9553.JPG
    Herring Gull, Lagos, 4-9-23-9553.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 65
Hello,

I wouldn't bother too much about less vivid bare part colours in adult (looking) Yellow legged Gulls. Yes, many have bright and vivid deep yellow legs in SW Germany, but I see birds with paler legs similar to yours sometimes there too (asssuming they are pure YLG=lazy jizz approach there).

Apart from that, large billed impression like a chunky male-type Caspian Gull with a more pronounced gonys and head profile with an angular rear head including just visible streaky mask behind the eye seems good for a YLG.

And biased by location, I think it's a confident adult (or subadult?) Yellow legged Gull.
Please note, that bare part colouration is influenced by nutrition and defiencies/illness too.

But as always you know .... Thanks!

Hi Sunbird24,
Absolutely a Yellow-legged Gull for me, for reasons given by Alexander. Here are some photos of a bird with even duller legs, though, admittedly, this is a subadult bird (4CY type). Taken very recently in Cork city, Ireland.
Regards,
Harry

Attachments

• subadult Yellow-legged Gull Cork Lough 26th September 2023_HH_1.jpg
    subadult Yellow-legged Gull Cork Lough 26th September 2023_HH_1.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 22
  • subadult Yellow-legged Gull Cork Lough 22nd September 2023_HH_2.jpg
    subadult Yellow-legged Gull Cork Lough 22nd September 2023_HH_2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22

Users who are viewing this thread

Back