• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lake Bled, Slovenia, June 2023 (1 Viewer)

Richard Prior

Halfway up an Alp
Europe
A friend has just got back from Slovenia and has a query on the id. of a bird he saw on the lake, he thought Red throated Diver but that would be unusual on such a date and to me it looks a better fit for Black throated with that bill (though that‘s also very unusual I would think in June).The usual suspects at this location are Great Cormorant, Pygmy Cormorant and Shag I think.
Living up in the Alps I am seriously out of practice with all things web-footed;) so am not too proud to throw this one out here! What does the team think?
Merci tout le monde!
Richard (on behalf of Tom)

Attachments

• DSC01418.jpeg
    DSC01418.jpeg
    61.6 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC01419.jpeg
    DSC01419.jpeg
    69 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC01422.jpeg
    DSC01422.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 63
  • DSC01423.jpeg
    DSC01423.jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 61
I agree with you.
Odd series of poses... Didn't he get one of it just sitting in the water?! - that would have been much more helpful.
Hahah, not one unfortunately, though I’m surprised he was carrying any optical/photographic gear as he was on a ‘cycle/back packing’ ride through Slovenia and Italy and back into Switzerland (sounds like torture to me!).
Thanks for confirming I still have a tiny bit of ability re. identifying watery birds!

Looks to be Black-throated Diver with the caveat that im not sure Pacific can be totally ruled out from these photos, although unlikely.

I don't think it looks like it is moulting its primaries at least - and it's the wrong time of year for it to be in any kind of moult. I think it's just an immature bird, which might go some way towards explaining why it isn't on the breeding grounds.

I don't think it looks like it is moulting its primaries at least - and it's the wrong time of year for it to be in any kind of moult. I think it's just an immature bird, which might go some way towards explaining why it isn't on the breeding grounds.
Schoolboy error on my part Mark, Prior’s id. howler No.74 Wet feathers must mean heavy moult :unsure:However, according to the eBird presence bar chart for the species it’s been recorded in June before, in every month of the year in fact!

Hello,

a feature of 2cy Black-throated Diver according to literature is a dark stripe across the lower neck, which seems to lack in this bird. I dont have experience how reliable and/or frequent this is.

Please compare to this bird (13.05.2009, Schwetzinger Wiesen, SW-Germany) and note how difficult it is to see on low quality pictures (no offence Alex you know. Yes Alex, I know)

I think that’s a subtle feature, and in these overexposed pics where the neck is stretched, and the bird isn’t really facing us, it’s always going to be very hard to see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back