• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large Gull Challenge - 50 shades of grey!! (1 Viewer)

madbird

Madbird
Spain
All birds were seen this week in Madrid:

LARGE GULLS 2CY.jpg

The first bird is a 2cy LBBG.
The second bird is a 2cy YLG.
The third bird has characteristics of a 2cy HG: Heavy bicolored bill, is the lightest of the three, heavy streaking on the head.

Comments appreciated.

no doubt about 1 which is a 2c LBBG.
2 - with those dark renewed scapulars should be another 2cy LBBG, but with slightly unusual patterned coverts.
3 - might be a 2cy argenteus (as 3rd generation scapulars look very pale in the pics you have posted with this individual) but I'm far from sure. head would fit a Herring Gull as would the overall appearance with much white in 2nd gen. coverts and tertials. but there exist such retarded looking YLGs, so this is far from being a straightfort HG. especially the very black primaries and primary coverts make me ponder if it is not a L. michahellis. Don't you have any flight shot of this bird, Peter? underparts seem to have some smudges but not as extensive as in most argentatus/-teus and well acceptable for a retarded 2c YLG (c = cycle).

no doubt about 1 which is a 2c LBBG.
2 - with those dark renewed scapulars should be another 2cy LBBG, but with slightly unusual patterned coverts.
3 - might be a 2cy argenteus (as 3rd generation scapulars look very pale in the pics you have posted with this individual) but I'm far from sure. head would fit a Herring Gull as would the overall appearance with much white in 2nd gen. coverts and tertials. but there exist such retarded looking YLGs, so this is far from being a straightfort HG. especially the very black primaries and primary coverts make me ponder if it is not a L. michahellis. Don't you have any flight shot of this bird, Peter? underparts seem to have some smudges but not as extensive as in most argentatus/-teus and well acceptable for a retarded 2c YLG (c = cycle).
Hi lou, nothing in flight I`m afraid., yet ;) This is all I have of this specific bird. I am learning a lot here thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_1084.jpeg
    IMG_1084.jpeg
    786.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1091.jpeg
    IMG_1091.jpeg
    869.4 KB · Views: 24
The second set of images look like they are the same as pic 3 in the first set? Whereas pic 2 in post 1 is the possible candidate for YLG

The second set of images look like they are the same as pic 3 in the first set? Whereas pic 2 in post 1 is the possible candidate for YLG
Hello, yes, the additional pictures are of the suspected Herring Gull (pic 3), scarce in central Spain. I agree that picture 2 was a good potential candidate for YLG, common in Spain but less so away from the coast.

Hello, yes, the additional pictures are of the suspected Herring Gull (pic 3), scarce in central Spain. I agree that picture 2 was a good potential candidate for YLG, common in Spain but less so away from the coast.
but YLG breeds also in the interior of Spain! it should not be rare at all in Madrid. probably less numerous as the wintering Larus fuscus but not really scarce. As for that specific bird, it's a 2cy LBBG (pic 2 in post 1).

but YLG breeds also in the interior of Spain! it should not be rare at all in Madrid. probably less numerous as the wintering Larus fuscus but not really scarce. As for that specific bird, it's a 2cy LBBG (pic 2 in post 1).
Thank you lou, on the river today there were about 150 LBBG and 2 or 3 Yellow Legged. In Madrid, as you know, the scarce one of the three is the Herring Gull.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back