• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large insect Fuerteventura (1 Viewer)

Owene

Wales
Caught in the branches of a small tree. At the time I thought dragonfly but no longer think so. Anyone able to narrow it down at all (even to family).

ggs5.JPG

ggs6.JPG

Could be. I've seen single Egyptian locusts sat in trees like the one it took is prey from, it seemed to stalk it around the upper branches. And the size and wings seem good. No idea if they occur there though

Nor have I. But we agree on the same insect order!
Lovely pictures.
Per
Edit: the feeler(s), if that's what I see, is short. That goes against crickets if I remember right...
Supports locust-like (or large grasshopper). That gets us to sub- order...
😄

Could be. I've seen single Egyptian locusts sat in trees like the one it took is prey from, it seemed to stalk it around the upper branches. And the size and wings seem good. No idea if they occur there though
Egyptian Grasshopper/Locust occurs on the island and looks ok for that.

With the tubercle on the prosternum (top pic if you take the detail out of the shadows) and the very long wings it should be Cyrtacanthacridinae and with a lack of colour in the forewing (although it's a bit difficult to see which wings are showing) I'd have thought Schistocerca gregaria (Desert Locust) but certainly that or Anacridium aegyptium (Egyptian Grasshopper).

Thanks so much, i think the photo series is still on the camera, i'll have a look what they show with the two species in mind

Users who are viewing this thread

Back