• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Late March Trip (1 Viewer)

Jono L

I will be doing the Birding Dad thing from end of March to mid April, doing a loop from Miami - Key Largo - Everglades City - Sarasota - Orlando - Sebastian - Miami. I will be with the family including two little kids, but hope to get some birding in. A couple of questions if anybody can help:
1. Will Swallow-tailed Kites be back?
2. Will any of the summer migrants eg warblers be back?
3. Will there be many winter migrants still present?
4. Any good Red-cockaded Woodpecker sites that are relatively easy on this route.

Thanks in advance
Jono

I can't really help with your questions but I've been twice with the rest of my family and it makes an ideal place to go birding on a family holiday. I'm sure you know Sanibel Island (a good place to go with the family), Merritt Island and Corkscrew Swamp are all worth a visit.

Have a good time!

Hi Jono, there will be people on here who can answer your specific questions, however we was here many years ago as a family and myself a birding dad I think it was June, all I would say is get up early to get some quiet quality birding in, and take plenty of time in the everglades, I only spent half a day here and wished for more it is a unique place with lots of wildlife.

Mark.s

I will be doing the Birding Dad thing from end of March to mid April, doing a loop from Miami - Key Largo - Everglades City - Sarasota - Orlando - Sebastian - Miami. I will be with the family including two little kids, but hope to get some birding in. A couple of questions if anybody can help:
1. Will Swallow-tailed Kites be back?
2. Will any of the summer migrants eg warblers be back?
3. Will there be many winter migrants still present?
4. Any good Red-cockaded Woodpecker sites that are relatively easy on this route.

Thanks in advance
Jono

1. Yes. Should be some around. Just keep eye open when driving. Also white tail kite. Check ebird for locations. Will not be out of your way to look for them. Browns fram road location on ebird I believe has been reliable
2. Maybe. Better chance later in trip. Check tropical audobon bird board. And bird brains listsrve for latested reports. Should be some good winter birds in Miami area at time
3. See above
4. On way to Sarasota you can go Location
Babcock-Webb WMA, Charlotte County, Florida, US. Easy access off. i75. Also possible Bachman sparrow (if singing), brown headed nuthatch. $5 to enter park. Most reliable area in past for me has been first left turn past gun range. If I remember right it's a four way intersection. Go slow look for trees with white rings painted on them. Get there early is best. Like right after sunrise

Sure others will post additional spots to try
Enjoy your stay

Randy :t:

1) Yes, Swallow-tailed Kite will be back by late March.

2) It will be too early for most of the real summer migrant specialties (Gray Kingbird, Black-whiskered Vireo, etc.). Warblers are actually at their most diverse during the winter months. Your problem will be more related to them leaving before you arrive. Check out this article about the 20+ warbler species one can see in winter in Miami-Dade county: http://miamibirdingwave.com/2015/01/18/miami-the-abas-wintering-warbler-capital/

3) Some winter migrants might be gone (such as Ruby-crowned Kinglet, some sparrows, waterfowl, etc) but you should still do OK.

4) Three Lakes WMA is my favorite spot for Red-cockaded Woodpecker. Bachman's Sparrow and Brown-headed Nuthatch are also straightforward at this site.

Pauhana's advice includes the following: "Most reliable area in past for me has been first left turn past gun range. If I remember right it's a four way intersection. Go slow look for trees with white rings painted on them. Get there early is best. Like right after sunrise"

Hope you and the family are well-insured Jono ;)

Pauhana's advice includes the following: "Most reliable area in past for me has been first left turn past gun range. If I remember right it's a four way intersection. Go slow look for trees with white rings painted on them. Get there early is best. Like right after sunrise"

Hope you and the family are well-insured Jono ;)

No worries as long as you don't go in dressed like a bobwhite quail or wear a hat with antlers (or Mickey ears).

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back