• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Latest IOC Diary Updates (4 Viewers)

By removing "Chaf-", you are removing the obvious connection to the "old" taxonomy. Someone hearing about "Madeiran Finch" for the first time would have no clear indication that this used to be considered a population of Chaffinch.
This is exactly my point using Greenish Warbler. Why is it not Green Greenish Warbler then? Or Gansu Lemon-rumped Warbler?

I am not a native English speaker but I know far more English than scientific names - hell, I know more English than Czech names, because I cannot be bothered with Czech names for birds outside WP and all the books I have are in English anyway. The scientific names are often hard to remember as they don't mean anything in any language I would know. I know that hardcore birders sometimes know scientific names and I have used this on some occasions, also in Poland (because Czech and Polish names of birds are super different, despite the normal words being quite similar), but I would say that most people you meet in the field do not really know many scientific names.

I am not a native English speaker but I know far more English than scientific names - hell, I know more English than Czech names, because I cannot be bothered with Czech names for birds outside WP and all the books I have are in English anyway. The scientific names are often hard to remember as they don't mean anything in any language I would know. I know that hardcore birders sometimes know scientific names and I have used this on some occasions, also in Poland (because Czech and Polish names of birds are super different, despite the normal words being quite similar), but I would say that most people you meet in the field do not really know many scientific names.
Not only that, but people with a different first language to your own can pronounce scientific names unintelligibly to you! I recall a birder who didn't know the english name repeating a bird's scientific name over and over again before I realised he was saying a name that we both new : Porphyrio porphyrio.

Larry, I appreciate what you say. By the time I’ve finished whispering Griseotyrannus aurantioatrocristatus into my companion’s ear the dear little mite has b******d off!

Not only that, but people with a different first language to your own can pronounce scientific names unintelligibly to you! I recall a birder who didn't know the english name repeating a bird's scientific name over and over again before I realised he was saying a name that we both new : Porphyrio porphyrio.

I recall a situation where I kept hearing "Fire-eye", when the (American) guy in front of me was saying thayeri. ;)

But OTOH I also recall a day a French-speaking companion of mine called "Sabine's Gull" (pronouncing it Sah-been, as it would be in French) on a seawatch in Britain, and was met with blank eyes : this type of problem may not be limited to scientific names...

Well...Green Greenish warbler is just an abysmal name, that is why :p

No clue on the other one, although one thing to keep in mind is that some of these names are "revived" names, that were at one point in use already. So when something is split they just go back to the "old" name.

(This of course being the origin of Short-billed and Common Gull to bring up a recent example of this trend)

Feb 18 Post proposed lump of Northern and Southern Mountain Caciques.
Southern and Northern are correct and logical. But Boring. I support Santa Fe de Bogata Cacique and Bolivian Yungas Cacique.
Southern: v.8 (1838) - [Mollusques] - Biodiversity Heritage Library . Althou I think d'Orbigny uses chrysonotus as a Genus?
Zoonomen uses d'Orbigny and Lafresnay as authors but Dickinson and Bosse use d'Orbigny from a different publication.
https://www.avespress.com/uploads/texteditor/zoological_bibliography_5_4.pdf .
Zoonomen does not have a link to the OD of leucoramphus .
6th session - Atti della ... Riunione, &c. I-VIII & XI. [11 Vol. in 10] - Biodiversity Heritage Library .
It was difficult to find.
World Birds Taxonomic List: Genera and species with citations. .
Does anyone know what happens to C. c. peruvianus Zimmer 1924?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back