• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

leftover porridge (1 Viewer)

Nursey

Cheerfully clueless
I put some leftover porridge out on the table this morning as an experiment, and the starlings went mad for it, as did a pair of magpies. There was quite a bit of scrapping going on.
On a normal day , I always have seeds and peanuts, bits of apple and breadscraps, plus suet or grated cheese. Am I missing anything obvious or essential?

Nursey

Hi Nursey
Try some niger seed and black sunflower. Also no-grow scatter seed.
Also you could visit www.noahsarkgardens.co.uk.and click on the featured foods to give you some idea of what to use to attract a variety of birds without costing you a fortune or having to prepare loads of different foodstuffs.
Remember that whatever level you decide to feed at should be a level that you are prepared to sustain. because the birds come to depend on it.
Hope this helps

Regards Roger.

roger hill said:
Hi Nursey
Try some niger seed and black sunflower. Also no-grow scatter seed.

Regards Roger.

No-grow seed sounds like a genius idea, I think half the weeds in my garden start on my bird table.
And don't worry - my birds never go hungry, and I even get my neighbour to fill my feeders when I'm away.

Thanks,

Nursey

I don't like no grow seed .....Great for me - but seed should grow.(Come on guys don't take the easy way out)....If it doesn't grow - there is something wrong.

Quality seed grows.If it didn't then we would have something to complain about.

Its a problem in spring ......but safe.

We wouldn't experiment on our own fam. - so please don't do it with the birds.

Mary Evelyn said:
I don't like no grow seed .....Great for me - but seed should grow.(Come on guys don't take the easy way out)....If it doesn't grow - there is something wrong.

Quality seed grows.If it didn't then we would have something to complain about.

Its a problem in spring ......but safe.

We wouldn't experiment on our own fam. - so please don't do it with the birds.
That's a really good point which I hadn't considered, so I won't switch over to no-grow.
thanks

Nursey

Nursey said:
I put some leftover porridge out on the table this morning as an experiment, and the starlings went mad for it, as did a pair of magpies.

Nursey

You actually had porridge left over?? BBBBBBrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! too cold for me to not eat all of mine!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back