• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

leica 10x25 BL vs leica 10x25 BR (1 Viewer)

iseegeorgesstar

United States
Hey,

Quick question. I've seen it suggested that the black leatherette version of the UV 8x20 are slightly slimmer than their 8x20 black rubber version.

Assuming this is true, I was wondering if the 25mm BL versions were slimmer than their 25mm BR counterparts? Has anyone got the chance to compare the two or is it a purely aesthetic affair?

Thanks for your comments...

Yes, it is a very small difference. In the BL variant, the hinges and the front part of the tubes are uncovered, since these surfaces are metallic. In the BR version, these surfaces are covered by armor. Also the rubber armor is a bit thicker than the leather

Last edited:
Yes, it is a very small difference. In the BL variant, the hinges and the front part of the tubes are uncovered, since these surfaces are metallic. In the BR version, these surfaces are covered by armor. Also the rubber armor is a bit thicker than the leather
Thank you.

I'm surprised the 25mm is so lightweight for its size.

Hey,

Quick question. I've seen it suggested that the black leatherette version of the UV 8x20 are slightly slimmer than their 8x20 black rubber version.

Assuming this is true, I was wondering if the 25mm BL versions were slimmer than their 25mm BR counterparts? Has anyone got the chance to compare the two or is it a purely aesthetic affair?

Thanks for your comments...
Yes both the 8 and 10 BL versions are slightly smaller. Whether the difference would be worth it to you will depend on how you intend to carry them. The BL are easier in and out of every day shirt and pants pockets, not just a matter of aesthetics in my experience. If you will mostly use them in cargo or jacket pockets or on the strap around you neck but without also stowing them in a shirt pocket for added security the difference will not likely be noticeable. YMMV.

Mike

The BL are easier in and out of every day shirt and pants pockets, not just a matter of aesthetics in my experience.
This is exactly what I was picturing -- thank you.

Would you say the BL is prone to scratches? I saw a used BR available on Bhphoto and was surprised to read it came with a scuff. I would have thought the rubber armor would be more resilient.

This is exactly what I was picturing -- thank you.

Would you say the BL is prone to scratches? I saw a used BR available on Bhphoto and was surprised to read it came with a scuff. I would have thought the rubber armor would be more resilient.

I have several UV and Trinovid 8x and 10x in leatherette all bought used some dating back to the 90s and none have any scuffs or scratches on the armor. Several do have small scratches on painted surfaces. I have one UV 8x20 BR and recently swapped a 10x BR after several years of use and no dings on the rubber armor either.

The good thing about buying a used EDC pocket bin with a cosmetic blemish for me is I'm not as anxious about inflicting the next ding.

Just for consideration, I have come to prefer the BL versions for sleeker handling and even better looking than the beautiful BR.

Mike

Would you say the BL is prone to scratches? I would have thought the rubber armor would be more resilient.
If there's a scuff showing on the BR it's probably due to the softer finish than the BL covering has. Either way, I have both and don't worry about the durability of either, but do prefer the BL overall, unless I think it's going to be very cold, then it's the BR with no exposed metal for fingers to come into contact with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back