• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Redpoll between Rutland and Nottingham (1 Viewer)

jlcopete

Dear all,

I would need to know whether there is some spot located between Rutland (BirdFair) and around Nottingham, to try to watch Lesser Redpoll. I'm attending the BirdFair on Friday night, and having a spare time on Sundat afternoon and Monday morning, I'd be most grateful for advice to arrive to some spot where Lesser Redpoll would be guaranteed, despite we are in August (moulting time).

Thanks in advance for any feedback,

All the best,

José Luis Copete
Barcelona, Spain

José.

Sorry, I can't offer any site info for that area, but hopefully others can help...

As a member of the Lynx/HBW team, you must be aware that BirdLife lumped all redpoll taxa into a single species in 2012 – presumably this treatment will be adopted in HBW/BirdLife Illustrated Checklist Vol 2 (Passerines)? ;)

But of course it's worth seeing cabaret anyway!

José.

Sorry, I can't offer any site info for that area, but hopefully others can help...

As a member of the Lynx/HBW team, you must be aware that BirdLife lumped all redpoll taxa into a single species in 2012 – presumably this treatment will be adopted in HBW/BirdLife Illustrated Checklist Vol 2 (Passerines)? ;)

But of course it's worth seeing cabaret anyway!

Hi, Richard

Yes I know about the lump. It's not so unexpected to me, after some reseach published already years ago (by Jan Lifjeld) in Norwegian journals, and more recently his same team (Gunnhild Marthinsen et al) proposing all taxa as one species. However I don't know which result will be after applying the scoring system by Tobias et al (2010) as has been applied in the new Checklist, which you for sure know.

The cabaret is actually not a tick for me, but for my companion during our assistance to the BirdFair. But it's always of interest to see different taxa, being these accepted or not as independent species!

Let's hope some British birder could help us about the latter!

All the best,

José Luis

Look in heathland with scattered young Pinus / Betula.

EDIT: sad to say, almost none mapped in the requested area in the Bird Atlas 2007-11.

you must be aware that BirdLife lumped all redpoll taxa into a single species in 2012
Sensible; the only realistic options are one species, or six. Two or three species options don't fit the data.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back