• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lesser Whitethroat or Common? (1 Viewer)

Dean Shaw

Ystwyth Birder
I was wondering if anybody can tell me if the Lesser Whitethroat has any type of eye ring, the one I photographed at RSPB South Stack had a milky white belly and was much lighter in colour but had a faint white eye ring. I photographed a Common Whitethroat at RSPB Conwy the following day and there is a distinct difference in colour and a defined eye ring. I have attached a photo of the bird I photographed at South Stack.

Attachments

• Lesser Whitethroat.JPG
    Lesser Whitethroat.JPG
    124.3 KB · Views: 189
The bird in the photo is a common whitethroat given it's leg colour - they'd be grey on a lesser whitethroat.
I believe an eye ring is possible on lesser - even described as 'spectacles' in the Collins guide. (Other bird books are available... :) )

Thanks, just wanted to be sure as the underside is so much lighter than the rusty bellies I have seen on previous Whitethroats.

Common Whitethroat

Photographed this one a day later at RSPB Conwy, just wanted to post it here to show the one I photographed at South Stack is quite a bit lighter in colour.

Attachments

• Common Whitethroat.JPG
    Common Whitethroat.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 122
Lesser Whitethroat

I Think this is a Lesser Whitethroat, it's a more delicate looking bird and its chest and belly are far too pale for a Common Whitethroat. We get these on the reserve where i work, 99% sure.

I Think this is a Lesser Whitethroat, it's a more delicate looking bird and its chest and belly are far too pale for a Common Whitethroat. We get these on the reserve where i work, 99% sure.

Both birds are Common Whitethroats, the pale legs alone exclude Lesser.

It's a tricky one, can be difficult with photographs. I know from ringing these birds, like with Chiffchaff & Willow Warbler that leg colour isn't always a sure way to id them. I've looked again and still not certain.

According to the staff at RSPB South Stack where the shot was taken there was a report of the lesser on Monday. They have put it on the board.

Another shot

I took this shot the same day (Tuesday) about an hour after the first, saving the obvios non-grey leg colour, this is too light-coloured to be the common whitethroat, there is too much white and less of an eye ring.

Attachments

• w1.JPG
    w1.JPG
    150.5 KB · Views: 110
still a common whitethroat. :)

IMO Lou and others are right. I believe the quality of the photo (light conditions?) is causing the burned out pale underside.

Although leg colour is somewhat variable, it would be difficult to document a Lesser with pale orangebrown legs......

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back