• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Limburg, Netherlands - Common Chiffchaff or ,,,,? (1 Viewer)

Bertus

Netherlands
Yesterday morning in rare sunlight, near lake, singing, not shy. Definitely some yellow above eye and under feathers, but I put up the colours a bit. Thanks for advice...

Attachments

• DSC08531 copy.JPG
    DSC08531 copy.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC08533 copy.JPG
    DSC08533 copy.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 35
Hello Bertus,

while I agree with Richard, Jogresh, Xenospiza and Aeshna, that in the end it will be a Common Chiffchaff, its hopefully not wasted time to check any "Chiffchaff" with evident yellow bits, contrasting two toned underparts (yellow undertail-coverts and breast and a whitish belly) and an unusual song (presumable?, as you mentioned the resemblance to a Finch) for an Iberian Chiffchaff.

Please listen to some recordings here: Iberian Chiffchaff (Phylloscopus ibericus) :: xeno-canto Thanks!

I dont know if I posted them before here*? Common Chiffchaff with yellow bits (more subdued, buffish than your bright citrin-yellow one) and whitish belly:
(Germany, 28.04.2013)

*Edit: I have

Last edited:
A Chiffchaff (Tjiftjaf) in a forest has a song that can be described as a repeating high and quite loud tsjip-tjsip-tsjip. It's a sharp sound. Listening is the best way to identify these little warblers. The other green/yellow ones have different songs. In autumn, when they are silent, it's much more difficult, also because their plumage is less distinctive.

A Chiffchaff (Tjiftjaf) in a forest has a song that can be described as a repeating high and quite loud tsjip-tjsip-tsjip. It's a sharp sound. Listening is the best way to identify these little warblers. The other green/yellow ones have different songs. In autumn, when they are silent, it's much more difficult, also because their plumage is less distinctive.
Thanks a lot, and Alexander too, I will go there again and compare the sound with your info, very interesting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back