• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Limburg Netherlands - Male Hybrid Smew/Common Goldeneye with female Common Goldeneye or ....? (2 Viewers)

Bertus

Netherlands
Yesterday at a big lake with clear drinking water, quite some fish. Tufted duck, Little Grebe, Great Crested Grebe around a.o.
The female on my pic on the right (on quite far distance) should be a Common Goldeneye, that matches with the book. But the black/white one on the left does not fully match with a male Smew or Goldeneye. Many other observers came with the idea of a hybrid for similar pics at the same place. And they agreed. Even the TV discussed the phenomenon. Could my ID be right then? Male Hybrid Smew/Common Goldeneye and a female Common Goldeneye?
Since the two on my pics stayed close to one another I wonder if they could eventually form a pair and mate this spring?
Then I wonder how many birds species do mate with other species, since I know nothing about that . Tnx for advice...!

Attachments

• DSC08457 copy.JPG
    DSC08457 copy.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC08450 copy.JPG
    DSC08450 copy.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 67

Users who are viewing this thread

Back