• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lincoln, 12/10/2023, Whooper swan (1 Viewer)

Bewick

Connoisseur of WTL
United Kingdom
Confident this is a whooper swan and so is my dad however the rather short looking neck is causing me to be a little hesitant to report it as one without first getting further opinions- its forehead looks also quite steep. I would expect a Bewick to have much more black on the bill which this bird seems to lack, lighting was bad and I couldn't make much out with my binoculars except from that it was either a whoopers or a Bewick.

Edit- bird was completely alone- the area I bird doesn't have any lakes.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 18.45.58.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 18.45.58.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 19.38.37.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 19.38.37.png
    6.1 MB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 19.36.56.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 19.36.56.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 19.36.46.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 19.36.46.png
    6.5 MB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 19.36.30.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 19.36.30.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 19.35.54.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 19.35.54.png
    6.2 MB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 19.35.49.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 19.35.49.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 54
  • Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 19.35.40.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 19.35.40.png
    6 MB · Views: 68
I'm seeing a rather rounded yellow bill patch, although the angle isn't great for evaluating this. Agree the neck looks short, so I'd be leaning towards a Bewick's. Not sure there are any in the country yet though?

Confident this is a whooper swan and so is my dad however the rather short looking neck is causing me to be a little hesitant to report it as one without first getting further opinions- its forehead looks also quite steep. I would expect a Bewick to have much more black on the bill which this bird seems to lack, lighting was bad and I couldn't make much out with my binoculars except from that it was either a whoopers or a Bewick.

Edit- bird was completely alone- the area I bird doesn't have any lakes.
Hi. I agree, looks more like a Bewick's to me. Neck looks short, and the yellow on the bill, looks like it stops before the nostril? and I can just see, the the black around the gape looks more solid..........difficult to tell with the angle/clarity of the pics though......... No offence. ☺

I have to admit that the time of year was also a huge factor in why I'm favouring the whooper option... but looking at the image 1 really does give the impression the end of the bill being completely covered in black- also appears as if the the base of the lower section of the upper mandible also appears to to have slight bit of black on it as well. However- I believe the dark lower mandible in making it seem as if the black on upper mandible I greater then it is- (edit) also just learnt that a whooper swan was seen at a lake about 20 miles above Lincoln- almost directly north from my local patch.

Here's 2 new images-

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 20.50.55.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 20.50.55.png
    6 MB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 20.52.00.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-12 at 20.52.00.png
    6 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Well that's more then the majority... small neck, seemingly mostly black bill- also the bird did not look huge- though lighting was poor. My eyes are saying Bewick but that would be quite rare for my area especially this early.

I'll report it as swan sp and provide a picture.

Last edited:
It looked better for Bewick's for me initially too ... but the neck does appear longer in some pics (either sp. can look shorter than is, but can't really look longer...).

There looks to be a yellow projection in some pics.

I'm not ruling Whooper out personally.

What do peeps think of the bird here ( flight bird, labelled Whooper) compared to the bird above?

Last edited:
It looked better for Bewick's for me too ... but the neck does appear longer in some pics (either sp. can look shorter than is, but can't really look longer...).

There looks to be a yellow projection in some pics.

What do peeps think of the bird here ( flight bird, labelled Whooper) compared to the bird above?

Yes… I’m more confident on whooper now. That shot looks almost identical to my ones. I think the yellow below the nostrils is obscure making it seem as if the black extends from that area to the lower mandible. Neck can also appear short based on perspective- also the bird didn’t look huge however I have seen Bewicks before and they are quite petite and I would not describe my bird in such a way- though poor lighting does have an affect on this.

Last edited:
Yes… I’m more confident on whooper now. That shot looks almost identical to my ones. I think the yellow below the nostrils is obscure making it seem as if the black extends from that area to the lower mandible. Neck can also appear short based on perspective- also the bird didn’t look huge however I have seen Bewicks before and they are quite petite and I would not describe my bird in such a way- though poor lighting does have an affect on this.
Hi. After looking at the pic/link from, dantheman, it does look very similar to your pics! As a result, I'm going to 'perch on the fence!' 🤔 🤔 on the id on this one!

Certainly at first look the neck didn't appear particularly short to me. Bewick's is almost goose-like (well perhaps that's a bit of an exaggeration) but shorter than this.

Certainly at first look the neck didn't appear particularly short to me. Bewick's is almost goose-like (well perhaps that's a bit of an exaggeration) but shorter than this.
I didn’t think so at first however my dad thought so and with comparing with other photos it did seem smaller then a whooper- but both my dad and I still were quite confident that it was just indeed a whooper and the necks length just being the result of an unfavourable perspective.

I have a lot of experience with whoopers whereas I have only seen Bewicks on one occasion- never in flight. My dad proposed it was a good idea to get some other opinions- did not expect that Bewick would be the option with the most votes- as you can probably ascertain from the description in the initial post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back