• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little Brown and white bird on the prairie (1 Viewer)

Maroon Jay

Airborne
Canada
Saw this bird out on the North American prairie in northeast Montana. Unfortunately did not get a photo of the front of it. ID appreciated.

Attachments

• _DSC1266.JPG
    _DSC1266.JPG
    434.5 KB · Views: 84
Appears to be a longspur. Three species seem likely in Montana (Lapland, Cheatnut-collared, Thick-billed) based on range but I’ll leave it to someone else for the specific ID

Actually I’m changing my first thought and think that Vesper Sparrow may be your bird. It’s darker on the back than most of the long spurs, shows the white outer tail pattern and I think the facial pattern fits better

This definitely isn't a Vesper Sparrow, but I have little knowledge about the prairie longspurs, so I can't say which it is.

There are four species of Longspurs. Two of them are migratory and not here at this time of year. The other two are mostly white on the sides of their head. This bird is very dark all over, except perhaps for the front which I did not see before it flew away.

After looking up the longspurs in Sibley, I'd say this is Chestnut-collared. Surely there's someone here who has experience and can confirm.

How about a young Chestnut-collared Longspur? The following photos seem pretty similar:
EBird Chestnut-collared Longspur
You got it. Thank you very much. A juvenile Chestnut-collared Longspur that does not look anything like the adults. I was really puzzled. It does not look like any of the birds in my book which shows only the adults of most species. The Sibley book shows only the adult and the "first winter" Longspur but not juveniles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back