• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Little Bunting Success!! (1 Viewer)

Evan Atkinson

Always finding a way to go off topic...
United Kingdom
As the title above says, I thankfully managed to see the little bunting being reported around Sidcup this morning. Got there around 10:30, and saw some meadow pipits in a tree, which then came down on to the floor and flew off further down the field. Some other birders were present but there was no sign for 10 minutes. Then a keen eyed birder spotted the little bunting on the path just ahead of us. Unfortunately some person let their dog run right through the spot where the bird was, so it flew off down the slope to the path that was there. Another walker with 2 rottweilers walked down the path where the bird was, and spooked it into some trees, and then flew off into some brambles. It hopped around a little bit and then sat somewhere in the hedge for 15 minutes or so. I moved around to try and get some vision on it and ended up accidentally spooking the bird on to a branch where it posed for a split second before jumping down onto the path. Some other walkers came around but one of the other guys kindly asked them to move around the path, and all 4 birders (including me) enjoyed very good views, and we were able to get within 1.5 metres of the bird in places. It continued up the path and then flew off up to the top path, where I saw it again just on the edge of the path, but a cyclist then came and the bird flew off onto a large patch of brambles. I lost sight for it before it flew off down the very end of the field near the power lines.
Pics below:
IMG_5954.JPG

IMG_5945.JPG

Directions: Drove down Betterton Drive, at the bottom turn left and park in the car park. Walked on the path towards the pylon till we got to the gate and after heading up the hill, there are 2 paths, one that goes to the right and one that goes straight on. The bird appeared on both times, but it was on the right side more, at the bend where the 2 trees are and large bramble patch. It likes the paths so if you go looking for it its usually on one of the paths.
Cheers,
Ev

Last edited:
Went to go see the bird again on Friday, had some trouble finding it but my dad eventually spotted it as it hopped on to a bramble. It continued to put on a very good show, and I was able to get some better quality images of the bird than the time before. IMG_6068.JPGIMG_6064.JPGIMG_6056.JPG

The bird is still in the South East corner of Upper College Farm, I stupidly put the coordinates the wrong way round when I put it out on Birdguides but recorrected it in a second post.

Stupid grass 🙄

IMG_6065.JPGCheers,
Ev

As I feared, the little bunting has flow off west away from upper college farm. I noticed that it was gradually going west by BirdGuides and figured it would leave soon. Maybe it will be back.

As I feared, the little bunting has flow off west away from upper college farm. I noticed that it was gradually going west by BirdGuides and figured it would leave soon. Maybe it will be back.
It certainly seems to be happy where it is still. The boys dragged me over there at the begining of the month and it was nice to find it so easily.

A beautiful bird obviously well trained not to be camera shy nor is it particularly preturbed by humans though it is not so keen on dogs.

It let Alex the 15 year old reel of some shots as he has taken over the camera gear.

Attachments

• _P2A5424_DxO.jpg
    _P2A5424_DxO.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
  • _P2A5403_DxO.jpg
    _P2A5403_DxO.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 26
  • _P2A5399_DxO.jpg
    _P2A5399_DxO.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 22
It certainly seems to be happy where it is still. The boys dragged me over there at the begining of the month and it was nice to find it so easily.

A beautiful bird obviously well trained not to be camera shy nor is it particularly preturbed by humans though it is not so keen on dogs.

It let Alex the 15 year old reel of some shots as he has taken over the camera gear.
Fabulous shots!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back