• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Live web camera from a White Tailed Eagles nest near AAlesund, Norway (1 Viewer)

Latest news from the Sea Eagle blog

Still some movement in the camera, but much less then previously. We will try to make another adjustment both for the camera angle and to focus more in the middle of the nest. Our experience at the nest visit last week was that the adult birds perched at a neutral site close by, without having direct view to the nest or the camera position. So they were obviously not aware of our visit and made no alarm call. That may partly have been the reason why the chicks were so calm. On the other hand it is important all the way to recongize any behavioural reaction in the chicks to avoid making them upset. On the nest were only remnants from two birds, a kittiwake and an adult greater black backed gull. The day after ringing the parents were bringing in one greylag gosling. Otherwise they seem to feed mainly on fish - some of which may have red flesh, or having blood stained parts. To a qestion on who is the dominant chick: Simply the size is important, but even the stage of development so that feathered male chick may have a higher status than a female chick still in a more downy plumage. As long as the food supply is good, there is hardly any remarkable behavioural difference in twin broods like this. Otherwise the hoodies and the ravens are hardly any threath to the chicks, an eagle owl could have been, but hardly other enemies. By disturbance caused by visitors regarded as potential enemies, the chicks are fluffing their feathers at a maximum, spreading their wings (well exceeding 1 m wingspan by now, and a weight between 4 and 5 kgs), opening their beaks and making hizzling sounds. By provocations they may be able to do rapid blows with their talons for defence.

Regards / Best Hilsen
Joe.

Looks like we're only getting 13 new chicks for the re-introduction program this year
http://www.theherald.co.uk/search/display.var.2356079.0.new_batch_of_eagles_fly_in_by_plane.php

I was hoping for the full 20,just need to learn to be patient and let the birds do their own thing.
Regards / Best Hilsen
Joe.

Hallo Joe

Be not disappointed Joe, 13 young (from nest with two) are many pair to look after to find young, remember maybe under 50% have chicks at all! So they need to ask the landowner, and that are the biggest work of all, get permission for each nest. I send only once 12 as the highest number.
I was for some days ago and looked after nest in the inlet of Mistfjord, visiting 5 pair,--non with chicks. Alv Ottar and his team have done a fine job this year, and Ireland have also get some.

Hilsen
Harald

Hi Harald,it looks like these "chick's" are nearly ready to fly,the one with the red leg ring,the male I think keeps flapping it's wings and hopping up into the tree,just visible to the right.
Regards / Hilsen
Joe
PS just re-read Sunnmørsposten ringing article both chicks have red / white left leg rings

Attachments

• Fledgeing.jpg
    Fledgeing.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Fledgeing 1.jpg
    Fledgeing 1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Hello Joe

Well, they are soon leaving they nest, and I hope the first import ens days of they life end good. As longer they stay at nest, better for the birds, and secondly I hope the people living nearby tolerate they sitting, without disturbing them.
I have heard that this year have been good in Vest Scotland, with at least 30 young,----good they not will kill any lam.
This nest site on ground are fine (better and up in a tree)they can move around, and get away from the sun. (Near the sea and lowest possible in the landscape are the main thing.)
I hope we will see the par next year also!

Hilsen
Harald

Hello Harald,I've just watched one of the chicks fly back to the nest with food,cant see what it is because it's eating it behind some plants,so it's been a good year on the West coast excellent,the East coast chicks should be released shortly,
Regards / Hilsen
Joe.

Well folks I've been watching the nest on and off all week,and it looks like both chicks have left the nest,I did see one of them,the male I think,he fledges two weeks before the female,come back with some food,but that was a couple of weeks ago,thanks to Harald for his original posting of this thread,hard to imagine really from this,to this in just twelve weeks,and the best part,one of them was layed on 24th April,my birthday,just got to hope to see one of this years East Coast releases,should be getting released in the next couple of weeks,
Regards / Hilsen
Joe.

Attachments

• Big now 2.jpg
    Big now 2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 53
  • Fledgeing.jpg
    Fledgeing.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back