• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Llanddulas (1 Viewer)

Stuart Darbyshire

45th generation Northern
Where's the best place to watch from for the Scoter flock at Llanddulas please? Is it Wern Road?

Also is high tide the best or a couple of hours before?

Any help appreciated.

I had a scan through for them the other day from the top of Llysfaen Station Road. Loads of Scoter, including a couple of Velvet, but no luck with the Surfs. A couple of other chaps joined me, but whether that's because I was in the best place, or they were just copying me I don't know. I don't think there's anywhere that's particularly easy though. If I manage another run out there I'll post here how I get on; if you could do likewise that would be great. No idea about influence of tide I'm afraid.

Cheers

James

I had a scan through for them the other day from the top of Llysfaen Station Road. Loads of Scoter, including a couple of Velvet, but no luck with the Surfs. A couple of other chaps joined me, but whether that's because I was in the best place, or they were just copying me I don't know. I don't think there's anywhere that's particularly easy though. If I manage another run out there I'll post here how I get on; if you could do likewise that would be great. No idea about influence of tide I'm afraid.

Cheers

James

Thanks a lot James - I'll certainly update when I get chance to have a go there (hopefully this week at some point).

All the best

Had a go today James, but cocked the tide times up (I think I must have looked at next week!) as it was low tide when I was there.

The vast majority of the birds were just too distant to cover properly (for my old 30x scope any way), and the flocks in a little closer didn't have any Surfs in with them. Still an enjoyable 3 hours though with some good views of RT Diver, Auks, Grebes etc. + at one point around half the scoters out there all got up together which was quite a spectacle!

Ended up watching from the Wern Road car park which is not a bad view point, but perhaps a little low down.

As you say - not easy (especially if they don't really come in any closer than they were today! - hats of to the locals if they don't).

I'll have another bash soon and make sure I get the tide times right.

Two drakes and a duck at 11:20 this morning from the top of Llysfaen Station Road. They were along the closest edge of the flock, and stood out quite well.

James

What are the best chances of seeing these birds, is it tide dependent as they don't get reported everyday or is it just that they aren't always looked for?

The best chances can be acheived by putting lots of time in ;)
I've seen them from the top of Llysfaen Station Road, but even as closest birds in the flock they were distant (it's a good job they're prominently marked). I would guess that if it gets breezy and a chop gets going on the sea they become a lot trickier to spot, and not being that rare (in the grand scheme of things) I doubt they're looked for every day (both occasions I've been I was on my own when I arrived mid/late morning). I've no idea how the flock (or Surfs) repond to state of tide I'm afraid.

Best of luck if you go, and do let us know either way how you fare.

Cheers

James

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back