• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Local conditions, floods etc (1 Viewer)

Alf King

We're due on a birding trip in SL in a couple of weeks taking in Anuradhapura, Habarana, Hunas Falls, Kithulgala, Nuwura Eliya, Yala, Sinharaja and Mirissa. I've read about the awful rains that there have been out there (although the coverage in British press is woefully inadequate) and wondered how conditions are on the ground for birding and tourism at present.

I do realise that the needs of a couple of tourists will be dwarfed by those of the people trying to cope but just hope that a bit of local information might help in our planning.

Any information would be most helpful, thank you.

Alf - have just posted brief notes on our trip on the previous thread - do take a look.

We did fine but with a bit of bad luck, travel could have been disrupted. The country has certainly been hammered by the rain and some roads had been closed just before we got there. A railway line was also washed away.

Sure you'll have a good trip,
Andy.

Thanks Andy. Your report is very helpful and informative - we shall be on a more leisurely timescale (the benefit of retirement) so shall have to see what we can mop up. As this isn't our first trip to SL and we've seen most, but not all, of the endemics we won't feel so pressured. I do want to catch up with Pied and Scaly Thrush though.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back