• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch of the Lowes Ospreys 2009 (1 Viewer)

The pictures are a bit deceiving Margaret.... it's a 'orrid day up here.:-C

I've seen her shaking the rain off her head a few times.

D

Ooops.... just seen your edit:-O

Getting more and more exciting!

Not had any rain in North Edinburgh but its dark. After the past few days what a come down.

I look in every morning at all three Osprey sites, and we had even thought of visiting Bassenthwaite or LOL, but the weather is so awful, we've decided to wait a while.
Certainly Mum has been jiggling about on the nest - I caught sight of the three eggs on one occasion.

Maybe she's hanging on for some drier weather............ stay warm and safe, babies!!:t:

14 May 2009

It has been beautiful here over the last few days. The sun is shinning but our female has become increasingly restless on the nest. She frequently gets up to rotate the eggs and listen for any signs within. It’s easy to tell that the female is aware of the chicks moving and calling inside the eggs as she will tilt her head at an angle and listen intently. Unfortunately there are still no cracks appearing in the eggs yet, but there is still plenty of time and hopefully over the coming week the eggs will hatch and we will be blessed with a few osprey chicks. The male continues to add sticks to the nest, bring trout for the female and clear the nest of any fish remains to keep it tidy. We are keeping our fingers crossed that the eggs are fertile and we will have at least one healthy chick this season.

Over the last few days at Loch of the Lowes we have been able to watch otters swimming about in front of the hide, ruddy ducks which have arrived at the loch, and roe and fallow deer going for a swim on the loch before changing their mind half way and swimming back again! We also had an eventful night on Monday when a duckling found all alone at the side of the road was brought into the centre. It must only have been a few days old being so tiny and it started to follow us around the centre! We noticed a mother with two other ducklings outside and decided to attempt to get her to adopt our orphan are bring it up as her own. It was touch and go for a few minutes as the mother ran away when she noticed our presence. Our little duckling came running back to us and stayed by our side whilst stretching its little neck as high as possible to call out for its mummy. The mother slowly built up her confidence responding to the calls and returned with her own two ducklings. Our orphan ran across, they touched beaks and it joined onto the back of the line and was successfully adopted by its new family! So if you visit the reserve and notice a smaller duckling a bit unsteady on its feet, following two bigger ducklings then you will know that this particular little fellow was adopted by a very caring mother!

Marge was brought a fish in the middle of the morning, and she didn't get up and take it. She just sat on the eggs, nagging a bit. (Hom)Eric stayed on the edge of the nest with the fish and eventually started eating it himself. He must have been there for about 15 mins before he flew off - I didn't see whether he flew off with the remains of the fish, or whether he had already finished it! That definitely isn't normal behaviour for Marge!

As it is raining up there, maybe we have a chick, or it's in the process of hatching? Marge is maybe trying to keep it warm and dry, as when ever I've been watching she is staying on the eggs, occasionally having a rummage, but even when the camera is on the eggs, it is too difficult to see, especially as there's a big bit of lichen sticking up just in the wrong place.

I am on facebook with one of the staff members at LotL and they are sure something is happening under her but because of the weather they can't get a shot.

We have a chick! There is an update on the SWT website confirming the hatching:

"15 May 2009

Good news! One of the eggs has hatched and we have a chick!"

Before I read that, we got a good view of the nest at about 9.30pm when Marge was brought a fish, and she eventually got up for it and "wolfed" it down still on the nest, obviously ravenous, not having eaten all day. We got a good view of what still looked like 3 eggs, but then I could see something dark moving in the middle of the eggs, which definitely looked like a chick as at one point it seemed to stretch up and then flopped back down, just like a newly hatched osprey chick does. I managed to download a video of it and here is the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu9Sg5Sqq8g

We have a chick! .......
Before I read that, we got a good view of the nest at about 9.30pm when Marge was brought a fish

Osprey Fan, we were watching when fish arrived as well and Linda thought that it was possible but I felt it was a bit of moss moving and the 3 eggs were looking whole. However as SWT staff are seeing it in HD then I guess we have a chick:t::t: Glad I saw it even if I did not believe it.

Mum was definately not for changing over as on previous nights when male arrived earlier indeed she was chasing him off with the racket she made and since then I have comented on the different shape she is making almost 'umbrella' like with her wings. Hopefully we will see for sure tomorrow but weather forecast is pretty bad so....

Hi Cosworth Lady,

Congratulations on the new chick from one Godmother to the other. I saw it happening and didn't believe it thought it was the lichen again. Have seen the video on UTube that Osprey Watcher made at the time. Marge is now definitely arching her body more over the chick and eggs to keep the wind and rain off, head down. and tail down and her back up in the air, she is looking fit and well for her age.

It was sweet when Homer brought the fish she was still food calling so he tried to feed her a piece of fish on the nest but she wouldn't take it and then stood next to him eating it all.

Ann :egghead::flowers::flowers::flowers:
The Osprey Godmother

Well done Marge, some really good news to wake up to.

Homer just had a flying visit to the side of the nest had a few looks and noises with her and then flew off..hopefully a well earned breakfast should be delivered soon.

Hope you don't mind me 2 in a row but have just had the pleasure of seeing No 2 chick coming out the shell...Marge shared the moment with us.....Well done the pair of them!

http://www.thewebbroadcastingcorporation.com/swt/swt.php

Update at 8.01...Homer just came back but no fish, she had a shout at him though......I think I will send 2 tins of Tuna express delivery to her.

Last edited:
Hi Marmot,

Thanks for the time, I was shopping and when I came back the camera wasn't clear but now is and lovely to see 2 little bodies wobbling around. No Homer Marge is shrieking louder and louder.

The Osprey Godmother

Hi Marmot,

Thanks for the time, I was shopping and when I came back the camera wasn't clear but now is and lovely to see 2 little bodies wobbling around. No Homer Marge is shrieking louder and louder.

The Osprey Godmother

is it unusual for 2 chicks to hatch so close together?

<<<<<<<<<<<<< chuffed. Cheesing. dunno what else to say except well done to marge and Homeric and all the staff and volunteers at LotL. the old girl has surpassed herself.

I've still to get a peek at Oor Wullie and Fat Boab LOL

Hi Cosworth Lady,

Congratulations on the new chick from one Godmother to the other. I saw it happening and didn't believe it thought it was the lichen again. Have seen the video on UTube that Osprey Watcher made at the time. Marge is now definitely arching her body more over the chick and eggs to keep the wind and rain off, head down. and tail down and her back up in the air, she is looking fit and well for her age.

It was sweet when Homer brought the fish she was still food calling so he tried to feed her a piece of fish on the nest but she wouldn't take it and then stood next to him eating it all.

The Osprey Godmother

What are we like Ann LOL. Its such good news. the weather yesterday was horrendous so I'm glad she's got the brains to shelter her babies. We just need to wait on number 3 then your lot :)

is it unusual for 2 chicks to hatch so close together?

Assuming the first hatched yesterday, it hatched at 38 days, and the 2nd one is 36 days. The second egg usually hatched quicker than the 2nd, so not unusual.

At Glaslyn, the first two were 37 and 35 days, and the 2nd hatched the day after the 1st.

As the 3rd LOTL egg was laid 7.5 days after the first, it will be interesting to see when it hatches!

Last edited:
Hi all.

Fantastic to see No 1 arrive today, but THEN No 2 so soon afterwards?!!!!

Amazing to see both looking (fingers crossed) so very well. Keep up the great work of caring Marge & Homer! o:)

Great watching!

Sue.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back