• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch of the Lowes Ospreys 2009 (2 Viewers)

Not seen Homeric today yet but catching fish won't be easy . once it gets cooler he'll catch summit I'm sure. Not been on all day but whenever I've looked in its been peaceful with the chicks lying uncovered in the sun. Long may it last.

Hi Ann
Just to let you know Homeric has been in with 3 fish that I know of today (and both chicks getting equal) and the usual half tree that we come to know he is famous for

Elf

Hi Ann
Just to let you know Homeric has been in with 3 fish that I know of today (and both chicks getting equal) and the usual half tree that we come to know he is famous for

Elf

Aw bless him and his half trees. He's a bit of a character our lad isn't he? 3 fish too? Well done him because the trout don't like being near the top of the water in full sun.

Thanks for the update Elf

Anyone noticed the eldest chick which has fallen onto it's back - at least 35 minutes ago?? Mum seems powerless to have any idea what to do to help it, but obviously is concerned about it.

I'm willing her to go behind it and put a foot underneath it, or nudge it with her head, but so far no luck. Trouble is, the longer it's going on for the less struggle the little chap is putting up to try to get up. Marge is sheltering him from the sun and had just nudged him, but nothing! I wait and pray!

She's just started calling as if to get Homer to help.

Sue

Thanks a lot Tiger_mz, good to know. Still the same now though, but maybe better when she's on them both later, it may give it something to cling to.

Thanks again,

Sue.

I'm worried even though you've tried to reassure me Tiger. i can't open that link you have given to find out more. The poor thing looks like its no energy now. She's doing her best sheltering both of them from the sun but the chick looks in trouble to me.

Thanks a lot Tiger_mz, good to know. Still the same now though, but maybe better when she's on them both later, it may give it something to cling to.

Thanks again,

Sue.

Well I have never seen a chick come to harm because of being on its back. Some have been on their back for a very long time. Did it have a big meal earlier?

Well I have never seen a chick come to harm because of being on its back. Some have been on their back for a very long time. Did it have a big meal earlier?

No, it seemed to be been being fed, as when I came to get by post in, I had a quick look and there was mum feeding the little one and not a bit perturbed at the elder one being on it's back kicking and calling frantically. I took it that maybe it had put it's head up to far, as they do when reaching for food, and toppled back.

maybe he'll get more get up and go with the arrival of a fish

I'm sure there's still fish in the nest as there was a fair sized one she was feeding from and, when she realised what was wrong with the elder one she seemed not to worry any more about the food.

Fingers crossed Ann!

Sue

Oh Sue its really uncomfortable viewing and I may have to have a break and hopefully come back to good news.

Tiger its good that you don't know of any deaths due to landing on their backs. Do you think this little one is caught somehow?

and I must say Marge is definitely looking a wee bit concerned now. If only she knew what to do. there is no way the staff at LotL will get involved and it'll break their hearts if this goes wrong.

Well Marge is sitting on the chicks. She keeps looking down at Oor Wullie. heres hoping she does more good than harm by sitting on them.

Hi all

Today was the first time i saw the chicks on the live web cam and i would like to know their names and how old are they. Last time i checked they were still eggs

Just viewed the link Tiger, but to be fair, the chick in that nest had a great advantage by being in a much more compact nest and knocked back onto a slope which meant he hardly needed to do anything but to simply roll back. Our littl'un was absolutely flat on it's back, in a large nest and nothing to help it.

I had to stop watching in the end and go on out, it was far too distressing and put me in the mind of sheep and the fact that if they fall onto their backs and aren't noticed, they soon die, and that's what I feared would happen here.

Thank the Lord that isn't the case and, hopefully all will be well in the morning. He'll need plenty of fish to help get all that wasted energy back!
I was delighted to read your "Oh Thank God. He's over everybody :)" Ann! It's the motherly feelings in us both, has to be!

Goodnight all, I need my sleep too now!

Sue

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back